White "Haze" on my dark fiberglass pool...tried everything.... any ideas?

Apr 25, 2014
Richmond
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
pool1.jpgMy 3 year old viking pool has developed a bad white "haze" on almost all surfaces below the water line. I have tried everything to remove it before I open the pool. Tried, vitamin c, 50/50 bleach, 20% muratic acid in a spray bottle. The only thing that will remove the stain is 3M heavy cut rubbing compound and a ton of elbow grease. I travel a lot and did a terrible job last year of balancing the water. I'm sure that has something to do with it. The pool is very small, 5500 gallons, 10x20, "small unicorn" model. I normally drain and refill each year (sandy soil, so no worries with draining). Any ideas how to remove the white staining without 2 days with the power buffer?
pool2.jpg

Re: White "Haze" on my dark fiberglass pool...tried everything.... any ideas?

Welcome to TFP!

What is your water chemistry like? Calcium, TA and pH particularly.

I have not tested the water yet, just uncovered yesterday. I normally drain and refill each year (had planned on doing it tomorrow). Should I refill, balance the water then try to remove the stain? I can certainly test the water now, its pretty nasty water.

The stain is likely a result of your water chemistry, so knowing the water will probably guide you in removing the stain.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I did not think that fiberglass pools were supposed to be drained. BTW, there is no need to drain and refill every year.

From the picture sure seems like you have a few chemistry problems.

Evidently I have more than a few chemistry problems! I will attempt to get some good readings for my Calcium, TA and pH and report back. The pool is so small, I can drain and completely refill in 5 hours. It was just easier than cleaning and re-balance. Plus, I have had issues with TDS being high, and the refill solves the problem. But what do I know! I am looking forward to participating in the forum and hopefully doing a better job of keeping my pool balanced this year (and hopefully getting rid of the staining).

pH 6.5, ALK 26, CH 126, remember, I have not opened the pool for the season, no chemicals have been added since labor day of last year. Test was done with a ColorQ Pro-7

FYI, We also do not think very highly of digital testers ... a search of the forum will reveal why. Very suspect and inconsistent on some things and you never know if it is returning a decent value. Many members have gotten fed up with them and sold them to get one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.