Cracking in my Fiberglass pool . . . . .

Apr 25, 2014
Columbia, SC
I contracted a pool company to install a small (15x25) fiberglass pool in my backyard 2 years ago. The company that sold me the pool is also the manufacturer. Within a couple of months, I began seeing cracks in the shell. The cracks first started appearing in the coping and began to show in various places throughout the pool under the water surface. They eventually came and repaired13 cracks but indicated they were "cosmetic" in nature. Shortly after that repair, more new "cosmetic cracks" continued to appear. They again came and repaired all of the cracks in the coping and covered with new gel coat. Since then, we have a minimum of 4o cracks throughout the entire pool. Most, but not all, are in the coping all around the pool and continued to be classified as "cosmetic" by the pool company. We have now noticed an additional "structural" crack on the face of one of my walk-in steps below the water surface. The pool company has now drug this out for over two years and seem to be willing to "repair" the cracks again. They do not, however, believe there is any type of issue with the installation and/or manufacturing of the pool. I am very concerned that any repair will only be another band-aid and does not address the real issue. I don't want my yard torn up again but I can't help but think there is much more to this than "cosmetic" issues. Any advice or past experience with this kind of issue would be greatly appreciated. Please help!

Perhaps someone with pool building smarts will help here, this is above my pay grade. Cosmetic cracks are one thing, but structural is another I think. At some point you might contact the manufacturer for help, they may know something.

Meanwhile, welcome to the forum.

I suggest you find an expert and have him evaluate the pool. You might want to hire a lawyer and have him hire the expert but you may or may not be there yet. I would call pool engineering firms and ask if they have someone or know someone who can come evaluate your pool. Pool Engineering in Anaheim Ca would be a good place to start. Or call Doug Ferrell with Patrell Engineering in California. Neither is local to you but both could give you some local names.

Once you have your own evaluation then you can talk to the installer and manufacturer. Or the engineer will talk for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.