Disappointment - pump speed when heater is on

Apr 7, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm hoping someone can help relieve my disappointment:(.

I recently bought a Hayward Maxflo Variable Speed pump (SP2300VSP). I'm just about finished the plumbing install. However, I didn't fully recognize (when reading the features prior to buying it) that the variable speed feature was only manageable via manual input and not other automated controls (as it would appear that most pumps advertized as "variable speed" are capable of). I'd really like to have the ability for the pump speed to automatically increase when the heater comes on then drop to the original speed when it turns off. I'm hoping that someone would have an ingenious/hack to do this. I called Hayward and the guy told me to go out once a day and manually change the speed :puker:

You are correct. The newer VS pumps do not integrate well into automation. This goes for the Hayward Maxflo & Superpump VS and the Pentair Superflo VS. These appear to be meant for drop in replacements in older systems without automation.

Unfortunately, it is not going to do what you want. Those pumps just allow you to set 3 speeds. And then the internal timer will run on Speed 3 for a set amount of time and then drop to Speed 1 until the the pump turns off. The most your automation can do is turn the pump on and off. Speed 2 can only be manually selected.

I bought my 2 speed pump right before these were released and was a little disappointed I did not get the VS. Then I realized these limitation and am MUCH happier with my 2 speed that the automation will control and will automatically switch to high speed for the solar.

Honestly, I would seriously see if you could exchange that pump for a 2-speed or try to sell it to a private party and buy a 2-speed if you want your automation to have control of it. OR upgrade to the much larger full featured VS pump that will integrate.

What automation do you have?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Sorry, that is the way that pump works. There is a whole new crop of inexpensive variable speed pumps with similar limitations.

I can think of one work around, but it requires building a custom automation controller from scratch, which is probably beyond nearly all of us. The pump starts up at one speed, and then after a set time changes to a second speed. If the first speed is the heater speed, and the second the normal circulation speed a custom controller could turn the pump off and back on again every hour when using the heater, forcing the pump to always run at the higher speed. I don't know of any ordinary pool automation systems that are capable of doing that, so it would have to be full custom.

Thanks for your input guys. I've updated my signature...adding a little sarcasm!
Taking your ideas, I could install a power on/off switch that will turn the pump off at a specific time each day. When the pump starts, it automatically starts at V3 setting. The length of time and rpms can be defined. I could set it at, say, 2400 rpm for, say, 3 hours at which point it would drop down to the V1 setting (which I would define at a lower rpm). If the temp is low enough, the heater would automatically turn on and run during this start up period. I've got to do some investigations to see if the settings are stored even if the power is turned off.

As for returning it, there is a 15% restocking fee. also, I have already glued one of the fittings. I could try selling it, but I would likely take a big lose.

So what heater are we talking about? Are you sure it will not run on low speed?

The setting should be stored when the power is shut off. It will run on V1 until you turn the power off.

So for those of you who may come along in the future with similar questions that I am having (and confirming what Jason said), yes, the settings are saved. For some additional information, you can watch the youtube video noted below. Hooking up a timer is mentioned at 7:36.

I've been reading the user guide for the heater but unfortunately I'm not able to find mention about what the minimum flow rate is :confused:. It does mention a Pressure Switch which I assume controls the on/off of the heater if the pressure is below a value...but I'm not able to confirm this. I'll have to keep researching (unless someone on here know that information)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNzrN7CUua0

Most heaters have a safety switch which will turn them off if there is not enough flow. So ... just try to run it and see if the heater stays on. If not, raise the low speed RPM up until it does (that is the advantage of the VS pump, you can dial in the minimum speed you need for everything to work).

Someone was commenting that these variable speed pumps do have an external jumper connection that can be connected to a relay like a 2 speed pump would to allow remote speed changes. I can find no documentation on this feature though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.