Pool light burned out

techman65

Dec 12, 2013
Augusta, GA
I have just discovered that my pool light is burned out. It is located in the deep end right under my diving board, and probably about 2 feet down.

Is it possible to replace myself without draining the pool below the light?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The light is supposed to be secured by a single screw, once that is removed you should be able to lift the fixture up onto the deck to work on it. Occasionally there are additional screws or the cord is not long enough to get to the deck, but the great majority of the time it is simple enough.

When replacing a bulb, you always need to replace the sealing gasket as well.

You should be able to lie on your belly on the deck. Then reach in the water with the screwdriver and unscrew the screw at the top of the bezzle. There is a little hook on the bottom of it. Tilt the light fixture out and slightly down to unhook it. Then lift the whole fixture onto the deck to work on it. (providing the cable is long enough)

WHen you put it back in, make sure the excess cable is wrapped around the fixture pretty good, otherwise, it can get in the way of getting the fixture back into the niche easy.

Note: The screw (at least on mine) is a phillips head. The screw is brass and so its relatively soft. Use the right size screwdriver to fit the head. If you dont, you risk stripping the phillips head of the screw. (ask me how I know!) :hammer:

You should be able to do it without draining and as some other posters described above. Just make sure that the power is off, the circuit should be protected by a GFCI breaker that you should turn off also. On my Amerilite i did a lamp swap some days ago it was one philipps screw on the top 12 o'clock that hel the ligth fixture in place. I swapped my burned out ligth to a LED spot works pretty nice. Make sure you also use a new gasket (cheap mine was 10 USD).
This is an easy job.
Regards
Rob

Starting to get nervous about trying this myself. Now that the water is warm enough to get in I went down with a mask on to look at the light and noticed that the screw hole in the 12:00 position is filled in with what looks like some sort of caulk.

I tried contacting a couple pool companies in the area and both said they don't replace bulbs - just the light fixtures -- and they want $350--$400 to do it. :mad:

In case it helps for providing any insight, here is a pic of the light I took from the pool deck.

mupuzata.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Of course they would say replace the fixture. They make more profit from a fixture than they do from a bulb.

Yes, unless there are cracks in the resin or it is no longer a nice honey color and you can't see the wires around the base. Having dimmer really helps the incandescent lights last longer as it cuts some of the heat even at 90% voltage.

So I decided to try and change the bulb out today. Went down with a mask and discovered the hole in the 12:00 position was filled in with some chalky white substance. Scraped it away expecting there to be a screw underneath and the screwdriver went all the way into the hole. WTH? Tried the other screw holes and the screwdriver went all the way in those too! I'm thoroughly confused now. How is my light even being held to the pool wall? Anyone seen something like this before?

One other side note in case you get it replaced. This may be common sense but our builder told us never to turn those lights on if they weren't submerged. In other words if drained to replace (shouldn't be necessary) don't test until submerged. I think he gave us this warning when pool was brand new and we were filling. He told us NOT to test them until water was above them.

We just went through this. They are really easy to replace, make sure you replace the seals. There should be enough wiring to pull the light up to the deck.

The lights can be tested before you put them back in but for no longer than 10 seconds. That's what our manual says. So we just flipped the switch saw they worked and shut them off and reinstalled.

Good luck! :)

don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a related question. My bulb is out also, when you turn on the switch the gcfi trips, is this because the bulb is out or an indication of a bigger issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.