Need advise on SWG equipment

May 23, 2010
Arizona
Hi,

I am looking for some advice. My Zodiac LM2-24 Salt Water Chlorinator has been long busted. This season, I am wanting to change the whole unit and replace it with Pentair Intellichlor IC40. I am aware that I need a power module and the cell. Currently my pool pump and the Zodiac are connected via Intermatic T104R3 which is an analog automatic power switch which turns on and off at certain times.

My dilemma is that I am also considering to change my pool pump to a VS or VF (not decided). While I invest now in a Intellichlor IC40 - should I buy the power module that can power an Intellitouch as well and later on I can choose to add the Intelliflo pump (vs or vf) and an Intellitouch to control both the pump and the salt water chlorinator?

If I were to just buy the Intellichlor IC40 now will the Intermatic switch handle both the pump and the SWG?

Also on the Intelliflo - the VS is cheaper compared to the VF. But would I need the Intellitouch to use the features of the VS pump or the VF pump? I intend to run the pump almost 20 hrs a day and may be twice or thrice at higher gpm or rpm so that the pool cleaner can do its work.

Many thanks in advance for your valuable input.

ifmx4ever

I am not too knowledgeable with the Pentair automation, so will just address a few of the questions.

The timer can handle the pump and SWG, that is a normal setup.

The VF is rarely needed, stick with the regular VS.

If all you add is the SWG, then it can hook onto the existing timer right where the pump currently connects. If you also want to add an IntelliFlo pump you will want to get an automation system of the same brand as the pump and SWG so it will be able to control all three, as an IntelliFlo and SWG without an automation system gets tricky to setup.

The IntelliFlo VS is just fine, there is no real reason to get a VF. Either one can be controlled by any Pentair brand automation system will full speed control.

The IntelliTouch is fairly expensive, and I'm not clear why you mentioned that particular system. Their low end system (SunTouch) would be more than enough to control the equipment you have mentioned.

I have a complete Pentair system (IntelliTouch, IntelliFlow and IC-40) and I LOVE IT!

That said, it's a fairly complicated setup so unless you're really handy with plumbing and electrical setup as well as programming the system setups, I'd suggest you get a licensed Pentair contractor to do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.