Foam Bottom?

I am having my 24 foot round pool installed next Friday and am torn whether to use foam on floor rather then sand. One, is 1 inch rigid foam ok to use? I can not find 1 1/2", only 2" and that is 34.00 a sheet. The 1 inch is 17.00. Two is tongue and groove better or square edge? My thoughts on foam is better insulation from the cold ground and smoother floor. Is this true? Thanks for any help asap please as I need to order my foam cove in before next Friday. Is wall foam worth the $$$?

Yes, buy the foam coving.... Lots of people on here sing its praises... :) And a lot of AGP owners are switching to extruded foam for underneath their pools... I haven't read a bad thing about having foam under the pool yet.... :)

The foam bottom is personal preference. I don't have it and my floor is fine. Don't waste your money on the wall foam. It can actually increase the risk of a puncture to the liner. Imagine a piece of paper on a soft surface. It would be easy to push a pencil tip through the paper. Now take a piece of paper and place it on a table. Hard to push the pencil tip through it.

Yeah I plan on one of those as well. Even though they are a pain do deal with by yourself. Do you all feel better about clear over blue as far as performance?

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the bottom of pool, if I stick with them using sand do you all still say foam cove over sand with the sand bottom?

They are all about the same. I have a clear one. I cut mine in half so it's more user friendly. I use solar saddles hung over the side of the pool to store it.
Yes get the foam cove. I have it and recommend it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
go with the foam cove ... for kicks and giggles you can try to make an even cove around part of your pool with sand ... and then you will thank yourself that you got the foam cove!

- - - Updated - - -

I've been thinking about a solar cover ... so waiting for the rest of this conversation ... I really really want to swim in my "big" birthday coming up!

The key with the solar cover is heat retention at night and windy days.
Leave it on when it's cloudy during the day. When you have a nice warm sunny day, little wind, air temp warmer than pool water temp, you'll get more heating from the sun with the cover off.

If I could do it again I would have put a foam bottom in. We brought in a lot of sand, but things still migrate up thru it and I need to get the aluminum baseball bat out to smooth out the bumps. The foam cove yes too and a good solar cover to keep out the dirt when not swimming, help with evaporation & keep the heat in during the night...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.