Just starting, test kit arrived today

FC. - 8
CC -1
TC- 9
CYA - 0,
TA -190
Cal Hard- 20
PH - 7.2

Bought a home with a pool, it hasn't been used for over 18 months. All winter I scooped out leaves and debris from bottom. Started with a local pool company 2 months ago, had me add algaecides, chlorine, metal magic after bottom turned orange, a floculant. You get the story.

I received my TF 100 kit today. Above are my numbers. I checked everything twice and cya 3 times. It is an old inground concrete pool, my guess built mid 80's.

Pool has one skimmer, one main drain, 2 return jets, sand filter with multiple settings and a 1 hp pump.

What do I need to do? Attached is a pic to get an idea of where I'm at. It has come a long way from being green!
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 99
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, you are going to need to review this if you want to keep updating pictures: How To Post Pictures

With the not clear water and the CC > 0.5, you need to follow the SLAM Process. No need for any of the magic potions the pool store sold you.

First I would add about 30ppm of CYA to the pool (in a sock), then SLAM away assume your CYA level is 30ppm to determine the appropriate FC levels from the FC/CYA Chart. After a week, confirm the CYA level.

Bleach, bleach, and more bleach, Welcome to the forum. You can figure out an approximate gallon size in pool math and base your additions on that. Adjust accordingly for the gallons used per your test results.

Just being overly cautious but you're sure sure sure cya is 0? Test tube filled to top is clear as ever and the black dot is visible? Just making double triple quadruple sure. Since the pool company put so much other stuff in there I'm surprised they didn't put something in that would have added cya since they seem to love to do that..

Anyway, if you're sure you're sure you're sure, then don't let me stop you! Carry on and SLAM away! :D

I had hard time with cya test at first just in addition it's important that when testing cya the sun is to your back and the test tubs is waist level. This is a difficult test to master but vital to not throwing away money on tons of each just my two cents from having been there

Ok, tested CYA again, at best I would call it 5.

The pool store has a computer to test water sample, they said CYA 55. Said that was ok.

If I'm reading the chorine/cya calculator right, with a cya of 30, I need a shock FC OF 12. Using the pool math calc on 20k gallons, I need to add 241 oz of 8.25% bleach.
To raise cya from a 5 to 30' I need to add 67 oz of stabilizer.

I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and help.

After the pool store had me put the algaecide in that had copper, they had me use metal magic to clean up stain. I searched this forum and ended up using the ascorbic acid to remove the stains. It worked like magic, my kids were amazed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Listen to these folks and trust your test kit, and you will be swimming in no time.
:paddle::paddle:

Ok, tested CYA again, at best I would call it 5.

The pool store has a computer to test water sample, they said CYA 55. Said that was ok.

If I'm reading the chorine/cya calculator right, with a cya of 30, I need a shock FC OF 12. Using the pool math calc on 20k gallons, I need to add 241 oz of 8.25% bleach.
To raise cya from a 5 to 30' I need to add 67 oz of stabilizer.

I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and help.

After the pool store had me put the algaecide in that had copper, they had me use metal magic to clean up stain. I searched this forum and ended up using the ascorbic acid to remove the stains. It worked like magic, my kids were amazed!

Before you add all of that stabilizer to increase your cya ... I would be a bit more cautious and only add 2/3 of that amount - then test a week later and you can add the rest if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.