Just Opened Pool in Toronto - Cold :(

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
We had build our pool last year (see here and here for old threads).

Last year we found a leak in the liner (3 inch tear in shallow end) and it was replaced a week after the pool was newly opened.

Then a few weeks later we found a leak and the PB detected it near the ladder in the deep end and it was a pin hole. He patched it. However, we expressed that we were not happy with a patch on a brand new liner. Spoke to him and the manufacturer and we got a new liner. PB said to just use the pool and we would replace the line in the Spring.

PB closed the pool and opened it this week and also replaced the liner.

Pool is almost full now and they put in 13 bags of Salt (I believe each bag is 20kg).

Questions:

1. Should we add CYA now?
2. PB said not to turn on the SWG as it's still cold and to wait until temps are 10C (50F). Is that ok? How will Chlorine get created? Or do I need to add bleach?
3. Anything else we should do aside from waiting for better weather? The pool is at 44F!! Water is freezing. :swim:

Pics of the opening are here. I love seeing all the pics people post, so wanted to share ours too.

20140421_083842.jpg

20140421_084333.jpg

20140421_094130.jpg

20140421_095701.jpg

20140421_112627.jpg

20140421_112654.jpg

20140424_095747.jpg

Looks great!

To answer your questions:

1. Yes. I would bring up your stabilizer level appropriate for a manually chlorinated pool. At this point you probably don't have an issue with sun exposure...so something on the low end would be appropriate.
2. Yes, your water is too cold for the SWG. You need to manually chlorinate until the temps increase.
3. Nope. Just fire up your test kit and get your levels right. (And wait for things to warm up :cool:)

As a side note, you don't have to limit yourself to bleach. Because of your need for CYA you can use stabilized chlorine products appropriately to get you to your target levels.

1. Why not.
2. SWG do not function in cold water. You will need to use bleach to maintain the FC. {Alternatively you could use tablets if you have them to maintain the FC and slowly raise the CYA}
3. Post a full set of test results and adjust anything that needs it.

You have one of the Recommended Test Kits?

I think you may need this as well: How To Post Pictures

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.