New style returns (not eyeballs) not doing the job

Mar 26, 2014
Northeast Florida
I recently did a pool remodel and the PB installed a new style of return rather than the eyeball style. They don't seem to be adjustable to aim the debris (millions of small bugs) toward the skimmer. These little guys just float on by. When I put my hand in front of the return there seems to be lots of pressure like the eyeballs and there is action on the top of the water. The bugs that do manage to get to the skimmer just sit on top of it. Is this problem due to the returns or is the skimmer's suction bad? They did not replace the skimmer which worked fine with the old pool. Hopefully someone can give me some insight. I tried to upload a jpg image but cannot get it to load.

Never seen those before. Too bad your PB won't stand behind his work. I would be harsh with him.

That said, they should have a 2 slots 180 degress from each other in which you can insert a key. Or perhaps the two "ears" I see are made for that purpose.

Where is the water level on the skimmers?

Right now the water level is about an inch low; we are expecting a couple of inches of rain. This is the only level where any motion is seen in the pool. He actually did install a 3 way valve in front of the pump so that I can isolate the skimmer from the main drain. I need to figure out which way to move the valve to get more pull from the skimmer, I guess

<------Here is the water level

I was very harsh with him yesterday and basically told him not to expect any referrals. You would not believe the experience I have had w/this guy. Where would I find a "key" like that to remove these returns? also, once I get them out will I be able to just screw in the standard eyeball?

[URL=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/ssallyridexxx/media/IMG_2034_zpsee069f4f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/ssallyridexxx/IMG_2034_zpsee069f4f.jpg

Last edited:
That does look like the 1.5" female threaded ports that I have as well. I think you can unscrew that retaining ring with the 2 tabs and the little plate with a hole in it should then come out. At that point you may be able to put an eyeball in and screw in another retaining ring. But, hard to tell from that picture.

- - - Updated - - -

You got the first picture to show up, but the links are not right to automatically show on the last 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.