Spill Over spa - Pool/Spa Pump times

gstose

Apr 23, 2014
PR
Is there a an 'ideal' amount of time that a spillover Spa should receive filtration time? Ok, I know what you are going to say, but in this case I have a pool robot running, main drain is shut, and all but about 10% of one of the skimmers open (i.e. almost all suction is going to robot). How do I handle this situation? My spa water is STILL. How much time should I run the jets or bubblers?

To be clear, you do not have a "robot" (which generally refers to the electric cleaners), you have a suction side cleaner.

I think an hour a day for at least some spill over would likely be more than fine. You just want the chlorine water from the pool to mix into the spa and keep the chemistry balanced. You do not need to have any suction coming from the spa though.

Thanks for the clarification. That sounds reasonable but my pump is running 8 hours a day providing a clear pool but my spillover spa is a frog pond. In addition to the 'spill over' there is also a four inch wide tunnel between the spa and pool.

Well that is not good. Clearly you are not mixing the water enough. In fact, it might be better to ALWAYS have at least some water entering the spa and spilling over into the pool.

Sounds like you are going to have to follow the SLAM Process to get things cleaned up.

You should be able to control your pool returns so that there is a bit of water returning to your spa.
Say 90% to the pool and 10% to the spa. That will keep a constant flow of 'fresh' chlorinated pool water coming into your spa with a very slight overflow.

That is usually enough to keep it clean. And you can adjust it as you go.

Now if it is already a mess like you say, I usually do 1 of 2 things. I return all water to the spa creating the highest amount of overflow. Take a pool brush. And just keep pushing everything in the spa out the overflow and into the pool. So the chlorine and cleaner can take care of it. Usually that takes about 15 minutes.

Or sometimes (rarely) I will set the suction to the SPA only and return to the pool. This should empty your spa within a few minutes. Then clean it as best you can. And set the suction to the pool and return to the spa... This will fill it back up within a few minutes with fresh pool water...

**Depending on the type of pool/spa you have, you need to be careful keeping a spa empty for risk of it floating up on you...

My spa runs over constantly also but I have my controller run the air blower for 1 minute, the spa jests for 5 minutes and then just filter to the spa for 15 minutes every day. This flushes all the various pipes out with new chlorinated water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.