Okay, what do I do now????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I put Stabilizer(CYA) in several days ago and then 4 bags of Burn Out shock the next day(about 3 days ago now).
I have not added or done anything else since then, just checking the water with the PH strips.
I have tablets but don't want to create other problems by using them since they will apparently raise my CYA levels. ??
I also have algaeside but was told didn't need that either. Although we do live in a very humid area of the country...right at the coast if that makes a difference.

Okay, so with the PH strips everything looks in line. The CYA has never shown up that much though on them yet. The TC looked to be about 1ppm today and the FC looked to be about 1ppm also. Both slightly lighter/lower than yesterday. (we swam yesterday, last night and this morning)

I'm soooo confused on what I need to do but obviously the chlorine is going and needs to be replenished ( I think???). I do have the test kit coming today per FedEX so that will be helpful, if not confusing at first, I'm sure. I am just sooo worried something is going to start growing and I want the pool safe for the kids. (nothing funky growing and not too many chemicals with me being clueless) My husband is busy with our house (renovating) and work, etc, so this is my baby! He says go with whatever "system" I think is best.
How do I calculate how much bleach to put in? (17,000+ gal, AG 27ft pool)

BTW, the water is sparkling and crystal clear....and I'd like to keep it that way!! :wink:

Get a copy of BleachCalc, see this thread. You want to get your chlorine level up to at least 3. The simplest way to do that is with unscented, or original scent, bleach. To go from FC of 1 to FC of 3 in 17,000 gallons takes 8 3/4 cups of ultra (6%) bleach.

You should get into a regular habit of testing the chlorine every evening and adding the correct amount of bleach to bring it back up to 3. When you get a stable CYA level you will need to adjust your goal level from 3 to some other number based on Ben's Best Guess chart, see the second post of this thread. [[Could someone please make the best guess chart a sticky!]]

When you get the new test kit post your complete set of numbers and we will give you more detailed advice.

Okay, i tried out the calculator but not sure what to put in the left space ( Quantity of Bleach)? Isn't that what I'm trying to figure out???

When I leave it blank and click calculate it gives an error message.

What am I doing wrong?

Oh, and the CYA, Best Guess Chart is great and I'm sure will be a lot of help to me!

Tried again (and actually "read" the box....put in 6 instead of 6% and it worked :roll: )

So, let me get this straight. Let's say my FC is 1ppm and I want it to be 3ppm. So I would like to raise it 2ppm correct?
My pool is about 17, 350 (I'm not positive on that though, it's a round 27, 52 inches high--I can check with the company I bought it from)
Says I need 2 qts, 1 cup and 2 oz. Sound right?

That sounds correct on the calculation using the Bleach Part, I got the same results using your figures. To figure your pool water volume you can click on "more Calcs" in the top left corner and then select additional items including Pool Volume.

27 foot diameter and 52 inch depth (4.33 feet) equals 18,592.1973 gallons

27 foot diameter and 48 inch depth (4 feet) equals 17,175.24 gallons
This is probably closer to your actual water depth.

new2pools said:
OH!! another important question I haven't come across yet. How long must we wait to swim after adding the bleach????

A few minutes for it to disperse in the pool!

Will I typically need to add bleach every day??

Yes. You should add the bleach in the evening, like before bed, so it can work at night without being degraded by the sun. This also eliminates the 'how long before swimming' issue! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.