Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone regret adding borates?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone regret adding borates?

Hi,
    I'm considering adding borates to my pool but have a hard time adding 55lbs of the stuff and 3 gallons of acid to my pool Seriously though I know there are tons of benefits but anyone regret doing it for any reason? Also when they say the water feels silky it doesn't feel slimy does it? Lastly, no trouble opening eyes under water or water ingestion (i'm thinking kids).
    Thanks!!
    Joe
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone regret adding borates?

borates for three years now and no regrets! No slimey feel at all and the water sparkles and feels great!
    pH much more stable too.
    Remember that there are a lot of commercial borate products that have been on the market for several years now, Supreme, Optimizer, Endure, Maximizer, Salt Support, Salt Water Magic, Mineral Springs to name a few. If they didn't have benefits do you think these products would exist?

3. Back To Top    #3

Borates around the suggested level (30-50) are very safe for people, including kids.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cruzmisl
    Hi,
    I'm considering adding borates to my pool but have a hard time adding 55lbs of the stuff and 3 gallons of acid to my pool Seriously though I know there are tons of benefits but anyone regret doing it for any reason? Also when they say the water feels silky it doesn't feel slimy does it? Lastly, no trouble opening eyes under water or water ingestion (i'm thinking kids).
    Thanks!!
    Joe
    I added borates to my pool a couple of months ago to help control pH rise secondary to aeration by water features. I have mixed emotions about it sometimes. Nothing BAD per se...I just ended up be a little less impressed than I thought that I would be.

As for water clarity, the water does sparkle like Waterford crystal with the borax being in there. But then again, my water looked nice beforehand. I think that it looks better though. As for the feel of the water, it definitely feels nice and "silky" since the borax lowered the surface tension quite a bit. So much so in fact, that the meniscus (water line) in the test kit test tube is no longer rounded or concave, but completely flat. As for the pH though, I have found that I am adding more acid after adding the borax than I was needing to add before I added the borax, and with greater frequency. If I don't address pH rise at least every two days with acid, then the pH will go above 8.0. Whether the waterfall is on or not, it seems to make no difference. This has never made sense to me really.

Eventually, splash out will lower my borate levels. I doubt that I will replace the lost borax when indicated.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

I added Borates in the hope it would help stabilize my PH rise, but it did not seem to affect that at all. The water does look and feel better, but no affect on PH.

My PH rise issue was only addressed by getting my TA down to 80 and holding it there.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, I'm done adding the borates and salt.

Before readings:

FC 5
    CC 0
    TA 80
    CH 80
    CYA 40
    PH 7.4
    Salt 800

Pump output 40 GPM

After readings:

FC 2
    CC 0
    TA 100
    CH 80
    CYA 40
    PH 7.8
    Salt 1890
    Borates 50
    Temp. 79

Pump output 40 GPM

The water looks great, but no one is here to go swimming until Sat. Also, no one knows that I added salt and borates. I'll lower the PH alittle after the storms. Maybe the rain will lower the PH enought. I also increased the chlorine output on the RoloChem by 50% for awhile. Instead of 2 tenth of a gal a day I will put 3 tenths of a gal per day.

I won't know if we(wife) are happy with this new set-up until people go swimming.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

7. Back To Top    #7

So how was swimming with the borates added?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    I added Borates in the hope it would help stabilize my PH rise, but it did not seem to affect that at all. The water does look and feel better, but no affect on PH.

My PH rise issue was only addressed by getting my TA down to 80 and holding it there.

dave
    Borates in addition to lowering the TA help stabilize the pH. Lowering TA will work but the combination of the two work better. If you don't lower the TA first then the borates probably won't have that much effect.

9. Back To Top    #9

That's interesting. What should the TA be if pH stabilization is your goal? (assuming vinyl pool)

10. Back To Top    #10

This thread explains it all:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4921

11. Back To Top    #11

I added 50ppm of borates (via Borax) to my pool a year ago and the only regret I have is that I didn't do it a lot sooner!

Algae prevention was my sole purpose for adding Borates and it has worked for me. I have not had to deal with even the slightest amount of algae since adding borates. My chlorine demand is less and, yes, the water does feel "softer" and it "sparkles" more. I maintain my FC in the 3-4 ppm neighborhood (cya is about 40), I target a PH level of 7.5 and I do have to add acid weekly to maintain. My sanitizing method is 12.5% liquid bleach and I add 1/3 gallon nightly. I've been running my TA around 80-90ppm. So it's been pretty simple since adding borates: Add bleach nightly, some acid weekly and some baking soda (to raise ALK) occasionally. My pool water is (now) always crystal clear!

I live in the Phoenix, AZ area and our summers make swimming pools a breeding ground for algae; near constant sunshine and water temps that reach 94 degrees. Borax (and the experts on this forum) have made my life a lot easier and allowed me to enjoy my pool a lot more!

The stuff works!
    25,000 Gal chlorinated rubber painted pool. 175sf Hayward cartridge filter. 1 1/2 hp AO Smith pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

Here is one downside in a plastered pool. The water becomes so clear that the blemishes and uneveness is the plaster finish becomes more pronounced if one used a colored plaster!
    24,500 Gallon (640 SF) Inground Gunite Salt Water Pool w/ Diamond Brite Midnight Blue Plaster. Pentair IC 40 Chlorine Generating System. Hayward 60 DE Filter. Jandy Aqualink Remote System. Polaris 360 Automatic Pool Cleaner. 50 SF Spa with waterfall feature
    Hayward 440,000 BTU Heater. Two Colorlogic LED pool lights.

13. Back To Top    #13

Hello, everyone. I'm a newbie to the BBB method and began to adjust my pool chemistry using Bleach, Baking Soda, MA, and stabilizer. Currently PH 7.5, FC 4, TA 80, CYA 70. I read lots to threads pertaining to adding borate/MA to30-50 ppm to pool water. Its a 12000 ga Salt water pool. My wife is somewhat concerned with me adding borate to our pool water because my youngest 8 yr old doesn't drink the pool water when enjoying a swim but occasionally she may ingest some during the course of her swim. I wanted to add borate to help with my PH drift which causes me to use MA more often to keep PH at 7.5. Member, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    12,000 Gallon IG Saltwater, Blue Quartz/Glass Bead Plaster, Pentair Quad 80 Cart Filter, A&A Infloor Cleaning System, Pentair IC60 SWG, EASY Touch Control Panel with 4Button Wireless Remote, Pentair Inteliflo VS, Pentair Ultra-Temp 120 Heat Pump, FLOWVIS Check Valve & Flow Meter 2"

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by robdgonz View Post
    Hello, everyone. I'm a newbie to the BBB method and began to adjust my pool chemistry using Bleach, Baking Soda, MA, and stabilizer. Currently PH 7.5, FC 4, TA 80, CYA 70. I read lots to threads pertaining to adding borate/MA to30-50 ppm to pool water. Its a 12000 ga Salt water pool. My wife is somewhat concerned with me adding borate to our pool water because my youngest 8 yr old doesn't drink the pool water when enjoying a swim but occasionally she may ingest some during the course of her swim. I wanted to add borate to help with my PH drift which causes me to use MA more often to keep PH at 7.5. Member, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Here you go.

Are Borates Safe to Use?
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

And don't forget, there are more than one way to add Borates to your pool. Boric Acid works just fine and you don't have to mess around with MA if you are worried about that. There a site called DudaEnergy that sells all kinds of chemicals, some of which we use to correct very specific problems.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

16. Back To Top    #16

Hello, I added borates this year and am very happy. Water does sparkle. I didn't notice a big difference in "feel" but, the family said it was better (who am I to argue )

The biggest upside for me is PH stays locked in (unless I over aerate), but then it's a little acid to correct.

I did the borax and acid, which wasn't bad at all, just labor intensive. If I had to do it over I would probably get the boric acid from duda as it seems to be a much easier and safer way to do it.

I have grand kids in the pool and am not worried about ingestion of water (other than they may drain the pool), so we always get on them about "drinking"

hope that helps !
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

17. Back To Top    #17

I am happy with borates, 2 years in. More here, Borates - Why and How
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

The EPA allows borate products for pools to dose up to 50 ppm. As noted in the the borates safety link, the EPA is very conservative in how they measure safety where a 50 pound child is assumed to swallow up to 2-1/2 tablespoons of pool water every day and that is with a factor of 100 margin of safety (i.e. you'd have to drink a gallon of pool water every day) to get to the No Observed Adverse Effect Level and another factor of 3 to where first symptoms were seen in male dogs. We aren't proposing anything different than is done using products such as BioGuard Optimizer Plus and ProTeam Supreme Plus.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"