Any way to waterproof plywood?

Apr 9, 2013
Hey guys I'm building a rack for a solar heater. I've gone with pressure treated lumber but now it's time to cover the face with plywood. Problem is that pt plywood is $35 a sheet.

I plan on painting it black anyway. Will normal exterior paint work to waterproof it? Maybe I'm over engineering this but I just want to make sure it stands up to the rain/snow.

yrazazym.jpg

Once upon a time I added some Thompsons Water seal to some oil-based porch and floor enamel to paint the inside of a walk-in refrigerator. It dried almost like Melamine, similar to any white particle board IKEA-type furniture. Three years later, the next guy to paint it had a heckuva time. He didn't know and tried latex paint. What a mess! :laughblue:

PT plywood (the grade you are talking about) is pretty darn water resistant and you have two things going to help it even more....

1. Putting it on the slope will really help the water drain off (paint the backside about 6" up from the bottom and all edges of the plywood)

2. Any paint adds some "seal" to the surface and will help not only in "waterproofing" but helping that water run off as well.

Edges sealed all around and painted, I'd bet on an easy 10 years out of it

I'd do a minimum of black plastic sheet but keep in mind that the plastic will break down over time due to heat and exposure and fall apart, peel, etc. You could do plastic and a layer of tar paper...

I'd also paint the whole thing with a latex based paint as duraleigh said. You can pick up left over paint for free at local/regional household hazardous waste facilities.

Last edited:
Given the installation I'd use CDX plywood and paint it 100%. Since it's not touching the ground and it's sloped, it will last many many years. I wouldn't put plastic over it as that will trap moisture and cause premature failure. Several coats of good exterior paint is your best bet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.