Chlorinating Water During Re-Fill

RussH

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Central AL
We are changing the liner in our pool within the next few weeks and I need to know the best way to handle chlorination during the refill period. The pool is around 25,000 gallons and it should take about 40-50 hours to fill with the hose based on the top off I gave it after the winter. The tap water tests at around 2 ppm FC but with no CYA that will be gone quick. The weather is finally getting consistently warm here with temperatures in the lower to mid 80's. The pool is in the sun all day. Should I worry about it getting algae started in the two days it will be filling without the pump running/no bleach added/no CYA? Should I add CYA maybe pre-dissolved to help stabilize the chlorine during the refill and add bleach also? I dont want this thing to have a chance to turn green.

Thanks,

Russ

Hey Russ, I'd just fill it up and get it running as quickly as possible. If you are really worried about an algae bloom then go ahead and add some chlorine while filling... just mix it well so it doesn't settle. Once the pump is up and running, get the CYA in and balance the rest of your water parameters.

As long as you fill more or less continuously, you will be totally fine until at least the first evening after the fill completes.

Don't add any chemicals until you have the pump running, of if you have to stop the fill in the middle for more than 12 hours.

You don't need to predissolve the CYA.

Could tie a nylon with the CYA granules in it, in such a way that the flow of the water from the hose would help circulate the dissolved CYA? Do you have or know anyone you can borrow a submersible pump from? A few hours of water circulation with one of those and you can add chlorine and not risk it settling.

It truly depends on how quickly and how warm the water will get. The warmer the water the faster CYA will dissolve, but also the faster algae can take hold. Honestly I wouldn't worry about 2 days. I personally think it would take longer than that, at the worst I would think maybe slightly hazy/cloudy but the filter running and perhaps a SLAM process should take care of anything that turns up. (in other words its not the end of the world and you'll be swimming by weeks end.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.