Automatic Pool Cleaner Recommendation

Apr 1, 2014
Waco, TX
Any recommendations on cleaners? I'm looking at the suction cleaner price range. I need something that will vacuum the floor into the sand filter pump, but I don't know what model of cleaner my pump can sufficiently power. It will need to be able to pickup some leaves but mostly dirt/sand/grass.

Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 16" & Saltwater System (Model CS20110) 2650 GPH
Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool

We have the Ladybug version of Wanda the whale and have not had much luck with it. A neighbor of mine also mentioned to us that he gave up on his fairly quickly. what happened with ours is that we noticed it going over the same areas over and over and then totally missing some areas of the pool. Our pool is a 30 foot round dug out in the center but my neighbor has a smaller 16 x 24 foot oval and had the same issues. My concern was not only about areas not getting cleaned but also that areas that were getting done over and over by the vacuum were also subject to more wear. We also had one incident where the hose came off of the vacuum and started to suck up the bottom of the pool. I shut it off quickly and admittedly the cause may have been that the hose was not on as tight as it should have been but it still happened and luckily I saw it right away before damage was done. I am really concerned about the damage these automatic cleaners can possibly do if not attended and went back to hand vacuuming it. I would really like to hear about a vac that does not cause problems. When I searched reviews on many websites none seemed to have stellar reviews and I found that the time it took for my Ladybug to do a half decent job with me babysitting it was longer than it took me to vacuum it myself. I am looking for answers as well to a good pool cleaner.

I share Wiggledog's comments. We have the Kontiki pool cleaner suction type that supposed to crawl around in a circle hitting all the pool in an hour or whatever. Our seem to go over the same area over and over and everytime it turns the hose turns right with it and after a while the hose is all coiled up. It also functioned so we had to take our skimmer basket off which worried me after a bobbie pin got sucked up. I found it in the pump basket but lesson learned! Check hair for clips AND no more removing skimmer basket.
I switched back to the manual vac and actually find it kind of relaxing.

I manually vac the pool..... It only takes 5-10 minutes, but I only have an 18 foot rectangle.... Save your money.... The best pool cleaners are made for gunite or inground pools..... Think of vacuuming your pool as therapy.... :) I do, and its quite relaxing... :)

I've never seen a vacuum hooked directly to the pump.... But that doesn't mean there isn't one.... I just tried googling it, and not much came up.... What sort of connections do you have on your pool? Are they the Plastic stems that stick out of the side of the pool, or have you upgraded it to 1 1/2" fittings? Because if it is the plastic stems, I can understand why you don't want to use them to vacuum.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.