When I turn off the pump, water squirts out around the lid of the leaf canister.

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
When I turn off the pump, water squirts out around the lid of the leaf canister in front of the pump. The gasket was replaced recently. It could be a faulty gasket, or something else. Is there some sort of lubricant or sealant you are supposed to put around the gasket? I have some arthritis in my hands, so when I screw down the lid I probably don't screw it as tight as my pool guy who is younger and stronger than me. Could that make a difference?

I have some bubbles in the system and I suspect this is where they are coming from.

You can put some silicon lube or pool lube on it before tightening.

What kind of pump do you have? Some have notches to allow you to use a piece of wood to loosen them. If you are careful, you could use the wood to help tighten it.

If you have bubbles in the pump basket and entering the pool, then you are pulling in air and quite possibly at the lid.

FYI, my old pump always squirted out water when I turned it off, but, it never pulled in air so I did not worry about it.

Some pump lines normally do this because the pump lid was designed primarily to seal under suction more so than pressure. Also, for larger pumps or plumbing that runs under higher pressure, this tends to be a bigger problem and any air accumulation in the filter makes the problem worse.

That sounds more like an air leak when the pump is running. Try pool lube on the pump lid gasket and see if that helps.

Also, remove the O-ring and wash it with dish soap, cleaning off any sand or other junk, then lube. Sometimes it is just a bit of grass or sand. Or a need for a new O-ring, less likely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.