DIY Pool with Algae issues

Apr 21, 2014
United States
Hi everyone. New to this site. I had diamondbrite installed many years back, and it's finally breaking down - to the point that when I get algae, the algae gets into the crevices of the broken down portions of the diamond brite, and I try brushing it out of there - I've even got this tool where you insert muriatic acid directly onto the spot and the brush attachment should clean up the algae, but it doesn't budge. If I really shock the pool, brush everything down to the deep end of the pool, vacuum, clean out the filter, the algae stays away for a few days, then comes right back. It's a vicious cycle, and I know I need to have the pool sandblasted. What are the latest products out there now that have a longer life?

I don't know about the finish and those issues but as far as algae is concerned the only reason to have a problem with that is because you are not maintaining your FC (Free Chlorine) at a high enough level for your CYA (chlorine stabilizer)

Even with a brand new finish you're going to need how to test and maintain your levels properly to avoid algae. Following the methods taught on this website you may never have to "Shock" again!

The experts will answer more specifically I'm sure!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

As Beens said, algae is generally a result of a chemistry problem where your FC is too low for your CYA. See the FC/CYA Chart.

Have you found and read Pool School yet? Start with these:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Even a basic plaster should last 10+ years if the chemistry is maintained properly.

Also, please add your pool details to your signature and a better location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Welcome to TFP!

Beens is right. It is most likely that your stabilizer is way high, especially if you've been following pool store advice.

What you are going to need to take charge of your pool is a good test kit. Highly recommended here is the TF-100, and right behind that is the Taylor K-2006. Neither can be bought at your local pool store. Order from http://tftestkits.net/. Best investment is the TF-100 with the XL option and speed stir.

While you are waiting for your kit, you could change you profile to show what part of the U.S. you are in, that does make a difference with the advice you receive here. Next, you should put your pool and equipment description in your signature line, so we know what we are working with.

After that, head on over to Pool School, linked in the upper right of every page here. Read up on the relationship between chlorine (FC) and stabilizer --cyanuric acid-- (CYA).

Once you get you test kit, post a set of readings taken from your pool, and we can go from there.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I just type too slow, Jason!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.