Any experience with a rigid foam base instead of sand ?

Apr 18, 2014
CT
As I posted in another thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72842-New-member-wondering-about-AGP-warranties

our pool fell apart last week and as of right now, I'm planning on replacing it with a new Radiant 24' round Metric. A different manufacturer had online instructions that had you leveling the ground, setting blocks and putting up walls like everyone else, but then cutting rigid foam insulation panels to fit, taping the seams, and covering the base of the pool, then adding foam cove.

I asked a technical rep at Radiant about this last week (the instructions for the Radiant have you wheel in sand before putting up the last panel, forming the cove and covering the rest of the base with a couple inches of sand). He said this would be a great way to do the base, so long as I'm careful to cut the outside pieces so that they get out close to the panels. He also recommended putting one of the bottom floor liners over it before putting the liner in.

So I was all set to go that route, but then I got to wondering about the long term viability of this approach. if the ground shifts at all (we're in New England) sand would shift with it, while rigid panels might not fare so well. I suppose it really only needs to last as long as the liner; I could always patch it up when replacing a liner.

I like the idea, both for the added insulation and the smooth installation, but not if it's going to be problematic within a few years.

Thanks !

- Dennis

I wish we would have used foam instead of sand ... I didn't learn about the foam until there was water in the pool - and next time the pool will be going IN the ground! ... But, I digress ... I have used foam as an insulation in walls - I would guess that you could lay out the foam and either use a sharpie tied on a string to make a big circle and then cut it with a razor knife, or put one of the bottom rails on top as a template, trace with a sharpie, and again cut with a razor knife. Foam insulation is pretty easy to work with!

Reactions: AmyRackers
I used pink 1" foam and foam cove on my 24' pool and love it. This will be our third year and no problems so far. I do like the suggestion to put a covering over the foam. I thought about doing so and wish I did. The duct tape seams do faintly show through and can be felt through the liner even though I was very carefull not to have any folds or creases in the tape. The seams also collect dirt. This actally makes vacuuming a breeze. I also used a piece of top rail as a template. I cut the foam with a drywall saw. The outer edges do not need to be cut absolutely perfect as the foam cove will cover them. The feel on the feet is great. I would definetly recommend it.

Good luck

OK ! Thanks again for the recommendations to use top rail :) With any luck, someone will be out today to look at the job of prepping the ground (digging up all the sand and making sure it was leveled down to the low point). Then I think I'll get my order for the pool in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry no pics yet ... basically, if you look at the pictures from my other thread - it looks like that, but with really long grass and dandelions !

But I have a landscaper/excavator lined up to prep the ground toward the end of the month when things dry up ... he's of the opinion that we'd be better off digging down and filling with compacted gravel. The tech expert at Radiant says that while they typically recommend installing on undisturbed soil, we might be better off doing that, so he's going to talk with our excavator (really nice guy out at Radiant).

And the pool has been ordered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.