Any suggestions on dealing with tons of flying bugs in the eve? June bugs, etc?

Jan 17, 2014
Hi All - Was wondering if theres some good solutions out there to deal with flying bugs when the sun starts setting and through the eve? We got our pool finished up and finally got some lighting and porch setup and just in time for the cold weather to start leaving us here in Austin, TX. One thing thats hit us like crazy is the bugs. We have a few acres out in the hill country and while i know we cant get rid of the bugs I was hoping there maybe some ideas to keep them less disruptive. They dive bomb our porch (main living area along the pool) as thats where the light comes from. Both from the porch lights (when we have them on) and the ambient house light that comes through the window. Anyone have any good recommendations on equipment and/or methods to help alleviate that a bit or reroute them?

Thanks,
JD

The issue is even with the lights turned off, they still gather in mass at the porch because of the inside lights that shine through the windows. The whole length of the porch wall is covered with windows from the living room, kitchen, etc so its tough to not have lights on inside. I replaced the porch lights with LED bulbs, which seemed to help 'a bit' but they still crash the windows like crazy. Someone once told me to put a brighter light way out in the yard to try to attract them out there, not sure if that would help or just make more bugs all over. Also heard about some type of propane device that creates co2 and attracts them and sucks them into a net or something of that sort.

Hey Charlie - just for grins I decided to count them this morning while I was skimming since the wind picked up overnight and there seemed to be more in the pool than usual - 357! And that doesn't count those floating in the skimmer baskets! Ah the life of a retiree!

They make automated misting systems that can be installed to spray insecticide around a perimeter, if you are not averse to chemical usage. With several acres, you'd obviously want a smaller zone set up near the house. They're usually called mosquito mist systems, but are effective on all kinds of insects, I believe.

Hey Charlie - just for grins I decided to count them this morning while I was skimming since the wind picked up overnight and there seemed to be more in the pool than usual - 357! And that doesn't count those floating in the skimmer baskets! Ah the life of a retiree!

Bored Ready? lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOl!! I had a similar problem last year which happened to be my first year with the pool. One night I went out and dove into the pool (I didn't have any lights on) and felt something when I hit the water. As soon as I came up I saw them....hundreds of Japanese beetles. At least half of my pool was covered in them. I grabbed my net and began pulling them out and then realized I was being dive bombed by them as well.

I ended up getting out, turning the filter on and went to bed. The next morning I didn't have a single one in the pool but all 3 of my skimmers was jammed with them. That's when my second problem started. After cleaning out the skimmers, about an hour later, the birds came to feed on all the dead beetles that I had thrown into my flower beds. That left quite a nice mess all over my patio with so many birds doing their business....

The beetle infestation lasted about 2 weeks before finally calming down. The bird incident was a one timer as I found a new place to dipose of the beetles that was nowhere near my pool!

I haven't opened my pool yet this year due to the extreme cold and wet weather this spring but keeping my fingers crossed that I don;t have that problem again. Made swimming at night virtually impossible.

LOl!! I had a similar problem last year which happened to be my first year with the pool. One night I went out and dove into the pool (I didn't have any lights on) and felt something when I hit the water. As soon as I came up I saw them....hundreds of Japanese beetles. At least half of my pool was covered in them. I grabbed my net and began pulling them out and then realized I was being dive bombed by them as well.

I ended up getting out, turning the filter on and went to bed. The next morning I didn't have a single one in the pool but all 3 of my skimmers was jammed with them. That's when my second problem started. After cleaning out the skimmers, about an hour later, the birds came to feed on all the dead beetles that I had thrown into my flower beds. That left quite a nice mess all over my patio with so many birds doing their business....

The beetle infestation lasted about 2 weeks before finally calming down. The bird incident was a one timer as I found a new place to dipose of the beetles that was nowhere near my pool!

I haven't opened my pool yet this year due to the extreme cold and wet weather this spring but keeping my fingers crossed that I don;t have that problem again. Made swimming at night virtually impossible.

Whoa! Not sure I would ever get in again after that! It does seem to be easing up a bit, thank heavens - they're just so crunchy! Yuck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.