New pool startup questions

You are SO far ahead of most newbies by already having the test kit! You will be fine! Take your time and do one test at a time. You will get the hang of it in no time.

I will tell you that I go through 7.5 gals of 11% chlorine in +/- 2 weeks during the summer. That is 3 of the refill jugs.

Good luck and keep the pics. coming!

No stabilizer at my nearest Walmart, at least not unless I wanted to spend a fortune on small liquid bottles. I opted to order an 8lb bucket online for $25. Should be here by Friday. In the mean time, I just added a gallon of 8.25% bleach when I got home from work at 4:30. Also added about 2 WR's of muriatic acid. Just checked my chlorine and PH and I got the following:
FC - 5
PH - 7.5
Needed to get some bleach in there as it's getting a green tint to the water. Don't want to go crazy right now though because I'm pretty sure the sun will eat all the chlorine up without any stabilizer in there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Task, if your water is getting a green hue to it you either have a start of an algae bloom or you could have metals in the water and the chlorine has brought them out. If the green hue is a clear green it's probably metals.
You should get your CYA level to 20-30 ppm and bring your FC to SLAM level for the CYA level.
You could also do an OCLT test to confirm if anything is consuming chlorine. If there is something consuming chlorine you'll need to SLAM the pool. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl ?

I'm thinking it might be algae. Mainly because it was getting the hue prior to me adding the bleach. I'm still waiting for my stabilizer. Hoping to have it by this weekend. Once I get my cya up, I'll follow the chart for FC levels to SLAM the pool. Either way I'll keep monitoring all my levels

I had the same problem with stabilizer at my local Walmart, I've been in there every week for the past 5 weeks and there's not even a place where stabilizer is supposed to be anymore. I found it on their website and it said it was available "today site to store" so I placed an order for $12.99. 15 minutes later I get an email stating my order was cancelled because the product is not available.

They did have one jug of granular dichlor. I'm using that to keep the FC up until I start the SWG. I basically bring it up to shock level once per week and factor in the CYA added by each dose until I get the stabilizer where I want it to be.

In my opinion, this would be a good way for Task to at least get started on that algae. As long as he has an understanding that for every 10 ppm FC dichlor adds, it also adds 9 ppm CYA.

On another note, with the 3-5" of rain we are in the process of getting hit with, my pool looks like it is about to overflow. What's the best way to remove water from the pool? Just backwash it out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question about SLAMMING. I'm thinking I need to get this pool slammed as soon as possible. Should I wait until all the stabilizer disolves prior to slamming so I'm not wasting a bunch of bleach? Or can I slam it this weekend while the stabilizer is floating in some pantyhose?

So, I'm 2 days into my SLAM, and my water doesn't seem as clear as it did when I started. Following pool school and pool math as closely as possible. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Yes. Before I started, my results were:
Temp: 58
FC - 0
CC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 130
CYA - 0
CH - 150
Before I started the SLAM, I added the suggested amount of muriatic acid to bring my PH down to 7.5. I also hung a sock with the suggested amount of CYA to get to a target of 40. I've been trying to target my FC at 16.

The only thing I could think of was calcium scaling but your CSI is fine. Just hold it at shock level and give it some time. Brush, brush, and brush some more. Keep the filter running and monitor it's pressure. Backwash when you see the pressure go up by 25%.

A good dose of Pool Owner Patience will get your water sparkling in no time!

Ok. Just making sure. I've gone through 10 gallons of bleach so far and wanted to make sure I'm not just wasting it. I've been vacuuming and brushing pretty frequently.
On another note, the water has a very clean, pleasant smell from all the bleach so that is good.

I was testing every hour yesterday. In the evening last night I went to every 2 hours because my FC levels weren't dropping as much when the sun went down. I continued with every 2 hours this morning, but have since do backed off to every 3 hours as the FC doesn't seem to be dropping as much. I've been targeting 16 since starting the SLAM, it hasn't dropped below 13 all day today, even with dropping back to 3 hour intervals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.