Name That Part!

Jul 21, 2007
The Right Coast
Under the skimmer basket there's a white cover, with a valve on one side, that covers two suction holes--one hole is covered by the white thing, and the other hole is exposed, but there's a slide plate on a screw that you can use to cover it. What is the white cover thing with the valve on it (and the slide plate) called?

And what is the purpose of the slide plate? When would I use that?

Sounds like your main drain is connected to the skimmer. The lever on the side controls the flow from the MD. In the vertical position, the MD is closed and in the horizontal position, you have max flow from the MD. There is a butterfly, like the old car carburators, inside the chamber.

The white cover, which can slide across the upper opening, controls your skimmer suction.

If you only have one skimmer, I would leave the upper cover wide open and the MD lever in its horizontal position. This will give you the skimming action with some suction from the main drain.

If you use this skimmer to vacuum the pool, close off the MD, vertical position, before attaching the hose to the skimmer.

judurant said:
Under the skimmer basket there's a white cover, with a valve on one side, that covers two suction holes--one hole is covered by the white thing, and the other hole is exposed, but there's a slide plate on a screw that you can use to cover it. What is the white cover thing with the valve on it (and the slide plate) called?

And what is the purpose of the slide plate? When would I use that?

Don't know the proper term for it, I call them 'coffins'. The way your system is plumbed is that the main drain comes up into the 2nd port in the skimmer, the coffin creates the bridge between the drain port in the skimmer and the live port :grrrr: :twisted: :hammer: - I HATE this set up!!!
What the doo-hicky does is regulate the flow from the MD and the skimmer (on the side is a "T" handle which controls a butterfly valve within the unit to adjust the flow through the 2 pipes. The cover is for when you want to kill all suction from the skimmer and just run off the drain. IMO it's a bad design and a bad idea and is a really stupid way of plumbing a drain!, however, since it's what you've got... you can increase the flow from the drain by turning the "T" more towards the horizontal and sliding the 'white thing' to partially or fully cover the hole on the top of the coffin. Similarly, putting the "T" vertical should kill all suction from the drain (keep the white thing off the top port.

Sorry :!: your pool builder went this way, but it probably won't cause any problems :) !

Hi
I have a skimmer with a similiar setup, my main drain is also plumbed into the skimmer

In this diagram
http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_skimmer_starite_u_3_vinyl_skimmer.htm

it is item 3, the float valve.
Item 8 is the thing that slides, that adjusts the flow between the skimmer and the main.

Do you know the manufacturer and part number of your skimmer?
You should be able to find an diagram like the one above for your skimmer, so you can figure out exactly what you need to buy.

Randy

Hi, Randy. Mine doesn't look anything at all like yours. It's a Hayward, but I don't know the part number. I have looked at many diagrams online, as you suggested. I found one that pictured the part, but there was no name or manufacturers part number. I would like to know that so I can shop around.

Thanks for your input, Randy!

I got one of those and my pool is plumbed the same way. I think its under the deck somewhere, but its definitely not in my skimmer. I find that it is continually shutting down the skimmer when the float thingy closes. It also tends to float up when the pump turns off and knocks my skimmer basket askew.

Sounds like it may actually do something for others though . . .

I have a haywood skimmer in my spa.

In my skimmer, the part number is stamped on the weir. You might try taking it out, and looking for numbers on it. They were very faint, and hard to read, but I was able to figure it the skimmer part number that way.

Randy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.