Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Name That Part!

1. Back To Top    #1

Name That Part!

Under the skimmer basket there's a white cover, with a valve on one side, that covers two suction holes--one hole is covered by the white thing, and the other hole is exposed, but there's a slide plate on a screw that you can use to cover it. What is the white cover thing with the valve on it (and the slide plate) called?

And what is the purpose of the slide plate? When would I use that?
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Name That Part!

Sounds like your main drain is connected to the skimmer. The lever on the side controls the flow from the MD. In the vertical position, the MD is closed and in the horizontal position, you have max flow from the MD. There is a butterfly, like the old car carburators, inside the chamber.

The white cover, which can slide across the upper opening, controls your skimmer suction.

If you only have one skimmer, I would leave the upper cover wide open and the MD lever in its horizontal position. This will give you the skimming action with some suction from the main drain.

If you use this skimmer to vacuum the pool, close off the MD, vertical position, before attaching the hose to the skimmer.
    Joe

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by judurant
    Under the skimmer basket there's a white cover, with a valve on one side, that covers two suction holes--one hole is covered by the white thing, and the other hole is exposed, but there's a slide plate on a screw that you can use to cover it. What is the white cover thing with the valve on it (and the slide plate) called?

And what is the purpose of the slide plate? When would I use that?
    Don't know the proper term for it, I call them 'coffins'. The way your system is plumbed is that the main drain comes up into the 2nd port in the skimmer, the coffin creates the bridge between the drain port in the skimmer and the live port - I HATE this set up!!!
    What the doo-hicky does is regulate the flow from the MD and the skimmer (on the side is a "T" handle which controls a butterfly valve within the unit to adjust the flow through the 2 pipes. The cover is for when you want to kill all suction from the skimmer and just run off the drain. IMO it's a bad design and a bad idea and is a really stupid way of plumbing a drain!, however, since it's what you've got... you can increase the flow from the drain by turning the "T" more towards the horizontal and sliding the 'white thing' to partially or fully cover the hole on the top of the coffin. Similarly, putting the "T" vertical should kill all suction from the drain (keep the white thing off the top port.

Sorry your pool builder went this way, but it probably won't cause any problems !
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

This setup is not causing me any problems. It works fine. However, I do need to replace the part, and I still need to know what it's really called.

Thanks for the replies!
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi
    I have a skimmer with a similiar setup, my main drain is also plumbed into the skimmer

In this diagram
    http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_skim...yl_skimmer.htm

it is item 3, the float valve.
    Item 8 is the thing that slides, that adjusts the flow between the skimmer and the main.

Do you know the manufacturer and part number of your skimmer?
    You should be able to find an diagram like the one above for your skimmer, so you can figure out exactly what you need to buy.

Randy
    20,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 266k BTU Lo Nox gas heater, Purex 2048 48 sq ft DE filter, 1.5hp pump. iWave wireless remote, Pulsafeeder chlorine pump, Safety cover on most of the time

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Teledyne heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi, Randy. Mine doesn't look anything at all like yours. It's a Hayward, but I don't know the part number. I have looked at many diagrams online, as you suggested. I found one that pictured the part, but there was no name or manufacturers part number. I would like to know that so I can shop around.

Thanks for your input, Randy!

7. Back To Top    #7

I got one of those and my pool is plumbed the same way. I think its under the deck somewhere, but its definitely not in my skimmer. I find that it is continually shutting down the skimmer when the float thingy closes. It also tends to float up when the pump turns off and knocks my skimmer basket askew.

Sounds like it may actually do something for others though . . .
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a haywood skimmer in my spa.

In my skimmer, the part number is stamped on the weir. You might try taking it out, and looking for numbers on it. They were very faint, and hard to read, but I was able to figure it the skimmer part number that way.

Randy
    20,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 266k BTU Lo Nox gas heater, Purex 2048 48 sq ft DE filter, 1.5hp pump. iWave wireless remote, Pulsafeeder chlorine pump, Safety cover on most of the time

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Teledyne heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Try SP 1080AA - my parts manual doesn't have a picture for it, but it sounds about right.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

That tip sent me in the right direction. I believe it is called a "Flo-Selector Control w/Valve."

Thank you all very much!