Help me identify my motor replacement

Apr 17, 2014
United States
1. Pictures of my setup:

http://postimg.org/gallery/2hk9s4i4/

I'm looking to order the ecotech motor as replacement (link below). I need to know whether to order the c flange or the square flange. It's only 339 at http://www.hydropool.com/

http://www.hydropool.com/cgi-bin/hydro/search.html

2. I've bought the HAYWARD AQUARITE SWG and was going to connect it to the motor through a current relay switch and use the timer of the ecotech to drive everything. Will this work and if so what current relay do you guys recommend?

My mistake, I thought you were acamoto who started the thread. But yes, your motor is a 56j frame and you wanted the C face.

How do you plan to switch the relay on and off? The ecotech has a computer timer and doesn't use a manual timer.

How do you plan to switch the relay on and off? The ecotech has a computer timer and doesn't use a manual timer.

Maybe I'm confused how this works. But I was going to have my manual timer always switched on and connected to the ecotech. I would then program the eco tech timer and use the eco tech motor to drive the relay. Then when the eco tech timer switches the ecotech motor on the relay should click in (because it is current activated) and switch on the SWG. Do I have it all wrong??

I am confused on the EZ interface. The motor manual states " There is an RS-485 port on the side of the motor/control available for connection to an external controller. If an external controller is connected to this product, the user interface is no longer in control of the unit. The external controller takes precedence." And the EZinterface manual " OUT Relay is available as required to signal an external control for auxiliary load (for example, relay to a booster pump). This relay does not provide power to the external load, only a signal for switching power n an external circuit (9-24VAC/VDC, 200 mA Max). This output is “ON” when the motor speed is above 1600 RPM."

The interface is hooked up via the RJ45 port. When it is hooked up does it bypass the user interface? Or is the user interface bypassed only when an external controller is used?

If it is the latter, you can use the output of the EZ interface to switch a relay to power the SWG.

When you ues the EZ interface adapter it takes prescedent over the built in controller.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OUT Relay is available as required to signal an external control for auxiliary load (for example, relay to a booster pump). This relay does not provide power to the external load, only a signal for switching power n an external circuit (9-24VAC/VDC, 200 mA Max). This output is “ON” when the motor speed is above 1600 RPM."

That might be another option. But the simpler setup seems to be current driven relay. So the relay detects that current is being drawn (in other words the motor is spinning) and switches on which would in turn switch on the SWG. Just don't know which relay to buy.

Maybe I'm confused how this works. But I was going to have my manual timer always switched on and connected to the ecotech. I would then program the eco tech timer and use the eco tech motor to drive the relay. Then when the eco tech timer switches the ecotech motor on the relay should click in (because it is current activated) and switch on the SWG. Do I have it all wrong??

I took my mechanical timer out of the circuit. The Ecotech does not have an output to signal a relay for the SWG. You maybe able to use the EZ interface to signal the relay. See my previous post about some confusion about the Ecotech EZ interface. Or you can use a current relay. A current relay will sense when the motor is drawing power and signal a relay to turn on thw SWG.

I took my mechanical timer out of the circuit. The Ecotech does not have an output to signal a relay for the SWG. You maybe able to use the EZ interface to signal the relay.

That's why I was asking. I am planning to use a Raspberry Pi to control the motor and my solar panel valve. If I can wire the valve up to a relay that is switched by the ecotech, I'd look into that

I don't think the ecotech will spin up when power is removed then applied. It didn't when I was installing it this weekend. To be fair tho, I didn't set the program yet.
You might be able to use the ez interface ($120) connected to the motor, then connect a relay to the output on the ez interface to turn on the swg when the motor is turning faster than 1600 rpm.

You might be able to use the ez interface ($120) connected to the motor, then connect a relay to the output on the ez interface to turn on the swg when the motor is turning faster than 1600 rpm.

Thank you ver much. This will work. Any idea on what relay I should buy (I have the hayward aquarite SWG). This board is also nice when later on I want to add a raspberry pi since it allows you to control the custom user functions 1-4 as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.