Why Sand Filtration?

Apr 18, 2014
Los Angeles USA
Why do so many recommend sand filter for AG pools? From what I read one has to backwash frequently and there has to be someplace for the backwash to go. I also read that the sand filter is the most porous and allows bigger particles to pass through causing cloudy water. What am I missing here?

low maintenance. Sand filters are simple and they filter water enough that most people (IMO) cannot see a difference in the water when a "superior" filter is used. Some will claim they can, but most of them just spent money on a "superior filter"....so they may be biased.

Anyway, Low maintenance.

Ease of use is likely the reason. No having to open up the filter to clean cartridges and no backwashing and handling of DE.

In reality, if the filters are properly sized, any of them require fairly infrequent cleaning if you maintain the proper chemistry. And any of them can keep your pool sparkling clean.

Have you read this:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/160-pool-filter-comparison

Backwashing is such a trivial thing that even if you had to do it daily it would be no problem. I generally only backwash mine a few times a year. 10 whole minutes a year standing there flipping a lever a couple of times. No filter is easier to maintain. I can read the brand name on my pool drain while standing on my diving board. How much clearer do you want the water?

When you backwash a DE filter, you have to replace the DE. Cleaning cartridges is a much more lengthy process than either.

Part of it is that most cartridge filters sold to the smaller above ground pool market are so undersized to almost be a joke. Sand filters are relatively cheap and easy to operate, although backwashing can be an issue for those with draining or water restriction issues.

Ike

The largest factor, which no one else seems to have mentioned, is that when you are talking above ground pool, you are usually talking Intex. The tiny cartridge filters that come with their pools are just terrible. No one with an Intex pool should consider using that filter. The most affordable upgrade is an Intex sand filter, which will actually filter the water. There are plenty of other filter options, but all of the other ones worth considering are significantly more expensive than an Intex sand filter, leaving it as the only practical choice for people on a tight budget.

If your budget is larger it is a whole different story.

I love cartridge filters... The reason? They are not heavy and they don't take up very much space....I have a tiny yard.... They are awesome at keeping my water crystal clear and I don't have to buy sand :) I can get filters delivered to my door.... It works for me, filter choice is a personal thing.... But they all work....

My avatar pic, the water was being filtered by the crappiest little cartridge filter from bestway, but I had really good filter cartridges, they were cheaper bought in bulk and throw away, but very effective... I only ran my pump for a total of 8-9 hours a day, but only 2-3 hours at a time with an hour break... The pool was sparkly for 4 months... I will say I was glad to upgrade, but it was doing its job and it cost me $20 for filters so a win here... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.