Pool size - what is considered "a large pool"?

My current design is about 114 perimeter, and around 41 feet long x 20-23 feet wide. About 23,000 gallons.

I have a large yard and want to make sure i don't get the pool in and think "I should've gone a bit larger." So I do want a "large" pool. Not small or medium.

Does that size seem reasonable to meet my expectations of "a good size pool?"

From a statistical point of view of fellow owners here, I would say anything over about 25,000 gallons, is large. Anything over about 36,000 gallons is rare (this is the point most of the dosing charts on pool chemical bottles stop at), although we do have a few somewhat regular members here with pools in the 40,000-50,0000 gallon range and one guy I can remember last year that had bought a house with an insanely large 60,000+ gallon pool, as I recall the house also had tennis courts, etc.pool was in need of work as I recall.

Ike

Our pool looks huge because so much of it is fairly shallow, I initially was thinking it was over 20k gallons, but historical trends of chemical additions puts it closer to 18k.

So there is a difference of looking large and actually having a large volume which is dependent on the depth profile.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Or I used garden hoses to layout a grass area at previous house ... Use a few of them to layout the shape and size of the pool and adjust it until you find what you think you want.

It does not take a very big pool for 4 people to be floating in.

I was going to answer "this is a very subjective thing to ask". but it looks like that's quite obvious based on all the responses so far.

Apparently my pool is considered large by local pool builder standards. I'm guessing it is a low 20k gal. pool (It's not done....so I can't tell you for sure).

Get a can of white spray paint and spray the layout of the dimensions of the pool in the yard. That should give you a feeling if the pool is the right size that meets your needs.

I had my pre-site meeting with the PB yesterday and he spray-painted it in the yard. That's why I'm asking. It "seemed" small. (And he said that's a common reaction when you just see it painted and not dug). But dimension-wise - it suggests being a fairly nice-sized / large pool. Looking for validation. 40-ft x 20-ft seems like it should be plenty big for us. Sure seems small painted on the ground though, LOL.

Part of the issue I think is that so many newer houses are built on much smaller lots than their older counterparts. I can see it even in more remote areas like in the towns and small cities around where I live, 30-50 years ago most middle class houses were build on .5 to .75 acre lots, now .33 or even .25 is getting to be common. I was speaking with a local real estate developer about this recently and a lot of the driving force is the higher standards that the residential streets much be built to due to code changes. So the more houses they can fit in X feet of street the more profit they can make. As to the comfort of having 4 to 6 people on floats at once, with my 20x40 ft pool 4 to 6 people on floats at once is comfortable, at 4 people each can have a fair amount of isolation, at 6 it is still comfortable, but you don't tend to have as much space to yourself.

If the layout seemed small to you increase the layout size until you feel it is right for you. You might also cut out some shapes of float sizes to help to get a feel for how much space they take up.

I had my pre-site meeting with the PB yesterday and he spray-painted it in the yard. That's why I'm asking. It "seemed" small. (And he said that's a common reaction when you just see it painted and not dug). But dimension-wise - it suggests being a fairly nice-sized / large pool. Looking for validation. 40-ft x 20-ft seems like it should be plenty big for us. Sure seems small painted on the ground though, LOL.

That's exactly what I thought on our first pool 20x40 looked tiny when we painted it so I insisted on going to 24x48. When they dug it it was huge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.