Jun 5, 2013
Indiana
Opened the pool yesterday after a long winter and had some problems with the filter. First noticed the pressure gauge was at 40-45 instead of the usual 10-15 psi. Backwashing had no effect. It is a Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter. I thought maybe it was just the gauge, so let it run for a while. After a while I noticed it seemed like it was blowing sand into the pool and noticed the initially clear water was now cloudy. I don't know how long the sand has been in the filter, but this is my 4th season at this house so it is at least that long. I thought it might be a good idea to replace the sand and inspect the laterals. I scooped out all of the sand and found the bottom 4 inches or so was filled with pea gravel. I have no idea why someone would do that. Also noticed that the removed gauge was still showing 20 psi. So I am going to buy a new gauge today and 250 pounds of filter sand.
Of course the pool store charges a premium for the sand. I see some of the home improvement stores sell pool filter sand from quikrete. Anyone have any experience with this sand? Anyone have any tips on keeping the standpipe up and straight while filling with sand.

Thanks.
Mark

Attachments

• video9.jpg
    video9.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 20
I have read the use of pea gravel is common in larger commercial sand filters, can't comment much beyond that, you already know you need a new gauge. Dave at TF Testkits sells nice liquid filled ones that last much longer than the el-cheapo pool store models, see link in my sig.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.