Question about TA/Aeration/when to adjust

AprilNC

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
I tested my water 2 days ago and my TA was 60 ... but I didn't adjust it to bring it up since I didn't have baking soda on hand. It also occurred to me that we just had a rain storm the day before and the rain could have brought it down. I tested it again this morning and it is back to 80 - which is within the recommended levels here for vinyl pool with bleach as chlorine. However, I would like to add a pool cooler to my return later in this season when the pool starts to feel like a bath. So, my question is - at what point do you adjust TA to bring it up as with regular aeration it will be low, but when I remove the aeration will it be too high ... Or should I just leave it where it is and not adjust at all. ... My pH is 7.5 so all is well with that too. ... Or do all of these things change as the season progresses and temperatures rise?

I have not had to adjust anything but add stabilizer and bleach since opening the pool 3 weeks ago. - I slammed for 24 hours and passed the overnight test - no algae seen / water is clear.

In normal conditions, I recommend waiting until TA is out of range on two consecutive tests before adjusting. TA is not one of the most critical factors. If it is off a little that generally make little difference. With TA you want to watch for the longer term trends, rather than responding to each little wiggle.

AH ... I got them backwards ... the pH is 7.2 this morning ... so aeration will be good ... but no acid and perhaps a bit of borax?

I'm glad there are not quizzes here! LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

We are several weeks from even thinking of swimming ... unless I dawn scuba gear and a dry suit! ... So I will just keep my weekly log and see how it looks

When the weather is nice we always have morning coffee/tea out by the pool. It is a wonderful calm moment to start the day. During that time we do the daily pool chores, clean out the skimmer, pick up any leaves on the bottom, test the water, etc. But these days I'm not even really aware of doing the chores any more, I just notice how calm it is out by the pool first thing in the morning.

My husband spent years telling me what a pain having a pool would be ... and how expensive it would be ... so we have always had a boat instead ... we have 2 boats (one to many - two too many if you ask me!) ... But he couldn't argue with me any more when I found a free pool, save the $ for sand, liner, coping, etc ... It has been so easy and we spend far less $ on the pool than taking the boat out - just the gas for trailering the boat to the lake, and running the boat on the lake 4 or 5 times a summer pays for the chemicals I use in the pool for a whole year! ... This is all of course, thanks to TFP!!

And, I agree, sitting by the pool with the laptop and my coffee in the morning is so relaxing! ... and I let hubby get in my pool without saying "I told ya so" ... at least sometimes LOL!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.