Backswimmers...HELP!!

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
I killed 3 backswimmers today. Does anyone have any solutions? Bioguard Backup? A Baqaucil product too?

Our water is clean, I can see the bottom, but it is a very dark liner. We were without a filter for two weeks, but kept the water balanced the entire time.

Do these critters have anything to do with "dirty" water or will they just find water and live in it? I did have a low chlorine reading this morning. I will check my Cl leves b/f bed tonight and again in the morning.

1) If my Cl levels drop significantly, there is obviously an algae issue and will need to shock. Great...right before July 4th weekend too!! Hoping that is not the issue though

2) If the Cl does not drop, I read someone's post saying Borax will eliminate them. Should I drop my pH first by adding muriatic acid and then bringing the pH back up with Borax?

Nobody warned me of backswimmers until after we got the pool. I never even knew what a backswimmer was until last week when I found one after a friend told me "everyone" has them..doubtful though. Totally grossed out!!

I used to get them on occasion, I do think Borates (or Borax) help, they do tend to thrive in unbalanced water, haven't had them last year after I added "Supreme" (another pool stored moment, prior to finding this forum) killed one a couple weeks ago so I may need to check my water and add some still have the bottle. But I think I read some where that stuff is the same as Borax... My pool is light green/blue so I don't know if it's a color preference thing....

Search is your friend: bugs-that-bite-ouch-problem-solution-backswimmers-t6299.html?hilit=backswimmer

Now, I will say I need to update this thread, I ended up with 'bug away' or what ever from the PS and it's worked however I am going to start with the borates soon, just need the time to add it all. I've been using the bug away for two weeks and not a single backswimmer (probably until I get in the pool tonight, Murphys law, right)

What makes our pool worse is we have pebble sheen, dark surface and can't even see them till they bite! but no bites in two weeks! borates next but I'll probably keep the bug away Crud in there too...I care more about relaxing in my pool than I do the extra $15 a month to let me relax!

good luck...hope this helps a little!

angela said:
Your frightening me now chaps - what on earth is a back swimmer. I take it your not just talking about someone who is annoying you by swimming on their back and bumping into everyone in the pool!

It's the common name for a waterbug (no offense WB in Richmond :wink: ) that gets into the pools here in the states - it looks like it's doing the backstroke under water.

uwimage said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
That's wierd tho. 2 summers ago they were so bad in my pool I'd kill about 10 a day or so, but never once was anyone bitten....

there are two types of pool/water bugs, I can't remember the others but the backswimmers bite, the others look more like a beetle...

.....boatmen? You can do a search here on "boatman" if you wanna' see pix! :p

As of this morning, I do not see any backswimmers in the pool. Of course, that doesn't make me feel any better since I did not see the three I killed yesterday and do not know how long they were there either. We did put the pool light on last night and did not see anything swimming towards the light.

Since these things seem to be able to fly, I wonder if they are coming from the pond set a good 3/4 acre back from our house. Can't get there to see the pond since you have to "hike" through the woods, but with the lack of rain and all the ponds turning green and grass brown, I wonder if they are flying towards any moisture spot. I will set up a spot for them, just not my pool!!!

I am going to buy a bottle of Bioguard Backup to have on hand though.

A ? regarding borates. I read on the borate sticky that it can be harmful to pets, we don't have any pets, but what about children?

My two are 6 and 4 and do get a gulp of water every now and then.

Thnaks for your help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.