Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

pool light

I have a 16x32 IG pool with a 6' deep end and was wondering If a 300 watt light was enough or should I go with the 500 watt. I don't want the light to be too bright but figured I could put colored lenses to dim it out some. Also has anyone put a dimmer switch on their light?

I have the 500 watt light in the box but I can still exchange it for the 300 watt.

Any input on what works for you is helpful.

Thanks
    Anthony
    16x32 16000 gal IG vinyl liner
    Hayward S244T Sand filter
    Hayward 1 1/2 hp 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool light

I have a 20x40 vinyl liner pool with a single light in the deep end. It had a 500 watt light that lit up the whole pool, it was pretty bright in the deep end but OK. I recently switched it out with a colored led type replacement that I like quite a bit. Is your pool a light color? My liner is a pretty light color and I quess that would make a difference.

3. Back To Top    #3

Tha liner isn't installed yet, but we picked a lighter liner rather than the deep blue one. So I guess it will be pretty bright. I still have a few days to decide.

Anthony

4. Back To Top    #4

I would go with the 500 watt light. If you find that the light is too bright once water is in the pool, you could merely replace the 500 watt bulb with a 300 watt bulb. Much easier to do this than to have the other situation - i.e. having a 300 watt fixture and needing a 500 watt bulb.

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

5. Back To Top    #5

Good idea, I never thought of that. I think the bulbs are around $50 - $60. I'd really like to put an LED in but price is too high right now for me, there are other things I need to do first.

Thanks
    Anthony