Above ground pool where trees used to be....

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
still going back and forth with pool options on my property. Im on a slope so one idea I have tossed around is an above ground doughboy with a deep end, 16x36. Where I would put it is on the down slope side of my yard. I would have someone come in with a back hoe, remove 4 cedar trees that are there that I hate anyway, dig back the slope to accommodate the pool, level it, and then have have the pool built on the level area.

I would then have a deck built around the pool. What would be nice is the slope is great enough that the deck would need no stairs, as the front of the deck would be ground level, the back of the deck 4 feet.

can I remove trees and then put a pool where they were? obviously the stumps and most of the roots would be removed.

other thoughts on this idea?

Yes, and no. Pools are heavy and they tend to cause the ground to settle. Normally you can't put a pool on fill of any kind unless the fill has had at least a year to settle. If you remove the stumps, presumably you will be filling in the holes and those areas will be prone to settling. Now, it is possible to add fill using the right materials and a compacter pass after each layer so that this isn't an issue, but doing that correctly is more of an art rather than something easily replicated.

You can fill in the holes with the proper material like crush and run from your friendly neighborhood quarry. You MUST put it in lifts and you MUST compact each lift "layer" with a jumping jack. That is what I prefer to use for compaction. If you don't feel comfortable with the process do NOT attempt. Just filling in the holes without proper compaction will result in settling.
9y5aba6u.jpg

if I had the pool sunk 24-30 inches would that make any difference? that should require excavation beyond the depth of the tree stumps as they are small ceders, the biggest one is less than 12 inches in diameter. im thinking about a partial burial so that the deck is lower. the builder I talked to said he would leave 20 inches above ground on one end, and ~35 on the other end. he said any deeper would void the warranty and require slag. the 35 inch end would have the deep end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.