wha kind of skimmer?

Before we had the UltraFrame pool, we had one of the Intex Easy-Set pools (blue with inflatable ring), which had the surface skimmer. I absolutely hated the surface skimmer.

When we got the UltraFrame, I debated on what skimmer type to put in too, just as you are. I simply went ahead and bit the bullet to put in an in-wall skimmer. It was painfully easy to do. Here's the one that I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP109...id=1398612912&sr=8-1&keywords=hayward+skimmer . The bottom of the skimmer has a threaded fitting so that you can either use their adapter for conversion to Intex tubing, or else run your own plumbing as I did. Here's a link to some pictures I took last year http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/williamshelton1972/library/Pool Skimmer . If you want some up-close pictures of the skimmer and such, I can take some for you and post as well.

Ultimately though, I think you'll be much happier with an in-wall skimmer versus a surface one.

As a follow up, the pictures I posted show that I have both of my wall outlets as returns. I've since changed up one of those to be an intake so that I can use it to drain the pool for winterizing. In addition to that, I'm trying to find a fitting/come up with a solution to allow me to use that intake to connect my vacuum hose to so that I don't have to mess with the "vacuum through skimmer" setup I have now.

how did you cut the hole and attach the skimmer? I saw one thread where they put the inside plate and gasget where they wanted in the pool and then they made the holes, after that they put the skimmer to match up the holes and screwed it together then when it was done they cut out the intake square out using the they plate as a guide.....is that a way to do it? and can I use an exacto knife to do the screw holes?

I see what you're saying now. I thought you were referring to the fittings coming out of the skimmer.

There are a few ways to do it, actually. The safest would probably be to let your cutting be the last thing you do in case there is a chance the side of your pool distorts during the cutting. This is the route that many here suggest, and it also means that you'll have to split the gasket in half which I didn't want to do. I figured that since it came as a single piece, the manufacturer thought it should be installed as a single piece.

That being said, I went a different route. I marked where I wanted to cut it using the skimmer trim ring for the inside of the pool and a felt Sharpie, filled it to a few inches below that, and then made the cuts about 1mm outside of the pattern. As a side note, I didn't see any distortion in the lining after I made the cuts. In one of the pictures (http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/w...ia/Pool Skimmer/IMG_1169_zps8131b7ff.jpg.html), you can see my initial mark for the gasket. Thankfully though, I realized I had marked it too high before I had made the first cut. You have to take into account the seam on the inside of the liner.

Once I had the hole cut, I fitted the gasket and poked holes for the bolts using a small philips-head screwdriver. Once you have the initial holes made, you may notice that you'll have to use a bigger shaft screwdriver to make the holes slightly bigger, but not too big. I wanted mine to be a tight fit to try to minimize the possibility of leaks. After everything was cut and holes made, I grabbed a helper to hold the skimmer and tightened the bolts up a little bit at a time so as not to over-tighten one and under-tighten another.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I chose not to cut my gasket in half. I suppose what I mean by "cut in half" isn't very clear. Split apart would be a better description. Think of two square gaskets with a smaller square hole in the middle, sandwiched together, with a seam along the inside of the square joining them together. The gasket that comes with the Hayward skimmer I posted a link to above is a solid seam around the inside of the square opening. Other gaskets sound like they might be a little different.

ill deffinatlly have to post when I get it...probably have it in a week or so, I notice when everyone does their plumbing they bring all of it down to the ground and then over to their pump, our pool is a bit uneven so it moves a tad when people are in it, im worried itll move enough backwards and crack...is that just me worring for nothing or should I keep all the pipe from touching the ground?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.