LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Can anyone tell me what I need to wire the pump for my above ground pool? My filter and pump is Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. filter system with 1.5hp Power-Flo Pump EC50C80X5S . I will run new line from electrical panel in my basement to the pump. I will use 12AWG wire.
My question is what breaker size should I use in the panel , how to place GFCI protection (should I just use a GFCI receptacle where I plug in the pump?) . Also I have seen in some instructions that I should not use the cable and plug that came in with the pump since it is for testing purpose only. It's says to use twist-lock plug. Is that true?

Im most of the country a twist lock plug and socket is required for an above ground pump. Certainly you want a GFCI, probably a stand alone without an outlet because of the twist-lock thing. The breaker should either be 15 or 20 Amps depending on the max amp spec for the pump the lower one of those two that is still above the max amps of the pump.

You also want a utility outlet between 10 and 15 feet from the pool on a separate circuit, with it's own GFCI (this time a normal one with outlets).

Ideally those outlets should have water tight covers that still close when a cord is plugged in, but that is optional most places.

Im most of the country a twist lock plug and socket is required for an above ground pump. Certainly you want a GFCI, probably a stand alone without an outlet because of the twist-lock thing. The breaker should either be 15 or 20 Amps depending on the max amp spec for the pump the lower one of those two that is still above the max amps of the pump.

You also want a utility outlet between 10 and 15 feet from the pool on a separate circuit, with it's own GFCI (this time a normal one with outlets).

Ideally those outlets should have water tight covers that still close when a cord is plugged in, but that is optional most places.
Can I use GFCI Breaker in my main panel? Also why do I need the utility outlet? How about if I already have one?

Yes, a CGFI breaker is fine, just more of a pain to reset.

If you already have a utility outlet the correct distance from the pool with CGFI then you can use that. The reason for the utility outlet is to discourage the use of extension cords, which don't mix well with swimming pools. By the by, I was wrong on the distance, it is between 10 and 20 feet.

The way I think about it is: first you figure out what the pump requires, that tells you what size breaker you should use. Then you look at the breaker size and distance, and that tells you what size wire to use.

You will likely want a 20 amp GFCI breaker with 12 AWG wiring.

With 20A breakers, you need 12 gauge wire. Most motors will be on 12 or bigger.

Your pump is probably just under 10A on 120V, so technically a 15A would work, unless you ever upgrade the pump down the road.

Is it true that if I use a GFCI before the wiring goes into the ground then I can only bury the cables in PVC 12" under ground. And if I will put the GFCI next to the receptacle next to the pool pump then I have to bury 18" ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That kit looks nice.

GFCI units are available that look much like the ones with outlets, but which don't actually have any outlets. They are designed to placed in a switch box near the point of use and protect wiring and devices further down the wire.

That kit looks nice.

GFCI units are available that look much like the ones with outlets, but which don't actually have any outlets. They are designed to placed in a switch box near the point of use and protect wiring and devices further down the wire.
Okay. I will have to check at my local hardware store cause I have never seen one. I will have to buy a bigger weatherproof box then if I would like to put that GFCI inside. Unless I will place it next to the main panel box in the basement but then I think it will be better to use breaker with GFCI. Have to think about that.

Just to clarify here, breaker size is determined by wire size used between the breaker box and the outlet

I don't think that's all that clear, sorry.

I'm with Pysiek and JasonLion. You need to know the load (amps or watts of the motor) and that is what you use to figure out the rating of the circuit breaker. You use the distance of the run and the load to determine the minimum size of the wire you need to use to get all the amps to the load without a noticeable loss.

Myself, I'd use a GFI breaker in the box for the circuit as that way the entire run is protected. If you have some unusual failure in the buried cable and you have the GFI at the pump there is a small chance the ground and pool could be charged with the leaking electricity. You're more likely to win the lottery but the reason for the GFI is safety and you might as well get as much as you can.
That's the reason you never swim in a marina. You never know if some clown either bypassed his GFI, doesn't have one or even disconnected the ground and there is electricity leaking into the surrounding water from the outdrive/prop !!

Are you going 120 or 240 volt ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.