Prologic PS-4 & Intelliflo VS compatibility

Clmlv

Apr 20, 2014
Las Vegas
Hi, this is my first post so bare with me. I recently purchased a home with a pool in need of some TLC. The pump was replaced a year ago with a Pentair Intelliflo VS pump (011018 I believe). The control timer was failing and I wanted to add some automation, so at the direction of my local shop purchased the Hayward Prologic PS-4.

So now for my issue, and my understanding. In researching how to connect the pump to the controller, a Hayward pump uses one relay and then through a control cable and addressing controls the speed of the pump. Now my Pentair pump also is addressable, as well as having a two-wire control cable, but I can't find it written anywhere to be able to interface the Intelliflo directly to the Prologic.

I have found one article regarding controlling this pump utilizing a Intellicomm II interface adapter. My understanding with this unit is I will have to use up two of my relays to get two speeds out of the pump. Seems like I'm taking a step backwards in the automation world to use this option. So, what are my options?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

Few. The ProLogic and IntelliFlo don't speak the same pump control language, and I don't know of anything that translates between them without using extra relays (like the IntelliComm II does).

Are you sure that you need to be able to control more than one speed on the pump? For simple setups one speed is usually sufficient. Of course if you have a spa or waterfall you will need more than one speed.

My understanding regarding the variable speed pump is the money savings on power costs, especially here in the desert where it keeps getting more expensive!!

I suppose I can use a single relay and just program the pump using its scheduling features, but only want to rely on that as my last option. Are there any other options besides the Intellicomm?

The idea with a variable speed is to turn the speed down as low as possible, i.e. so the skimmers, heater, SWG, whatever, still work and then leave it at that speed as much as possible. Typically the only time you would want to turn up the speed is if you have a suction side pool cleaner, spa, waterfall, manual vacuuming, backwashing etc. For vacuuming/backwashing it is easy enough to use the pumps front panel to change speeds manually, but for the others you want some kind of automation that has control over the speed.

You don't want to use a relay and the pumps own timer at the same time. Either let the automation system turn the pump on/off and don't use the pumps timer. Or wire the pump directly to the breaker and use the pumps timer.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Unfortunately you got some really bad advice from your pool store (seems to be a common theme ;) ) and are now going to be very limited. Given that you already had that VS pump, you would have been much better off getting the Pentair automation.

Any chance on returning the PS-4 toward a Pentair setup?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.