Return side plumbing question!

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Hi all,
We'll be redoing the return side plumbing at my parent's new place, and installing a salt system to make the future tenants' lives easier. There is a bypass with a check valve that I don't understand the reason for...picture below! We need to install the SWG cell on the pool return plumbing, and I'm trying to plan out how to do that. If we can nuke that little bypass it would make it easier.

I think that the line to the far left goes to in- floor cleaners. The bypass is a pressure relief check valve to make sure that the in-floor cleaners don't get too much pressure. You should leave that as is and put the cell on the line after the filter and heater but before the tee to the returns and in-floor cleaners.

Also, it looks like there is a spa.The SWG should not come on when in spa mode as the chlorine levels could get way too high.

On a side note: Arizona must get some very strong UV light. It seems that every pvc pipe in AZ schorched that brown color. I can usually tell that the pool is in AZ by the discoloration of the pipes.

Thanks James, hadn't thought of limiting the pressure. Looks like we'll be doing some creative plumbing on the left side...since the cell really needs to go on the pool returns and I don't want to limit it to only the wall returns or infloor system. No automation, so we can't set it to turn off in spa mode. At least we shouldn't need to buy more jandy valves, since the 2.5" outside connections should be usable if I can get the paint off.

Pipes are (badly) painted brown...this is on the shady side of the house!

Well, one option that would be easier plumbing would be to put it on the main return line before the Pool/Spa split. Some automation will limit / turn off the SWG in spa mode. Or, just have to turn down/off the SWG manually while in spa mode.

Well ... I should have finished reading your post more closely ....

FYI, I found 2.5" fittings at Naughtons by Costco/Home Depot off Thornydale ... although any plumbing store should have them. They are not at HD or Lowes though.

Well, got it done without any serious issues...but I'm starting to think this bypass is a problem.

They've got a 2hp pump and a 60sqft DE filter, and after cleaning (thanks for the tutorial Jason) the pressure is around 18-20, which seems reasonable. But, with the valves set to send all water to the popups, they aren't getting enough pressure to pop all the way up and rotate. I'm thinking this check valve is letting way too much water bypass the cleaning system. The gauge on the cleaner dome is shot...going to pick up a new one this weekend sometime.

PSA - always have a working pressure gauge!

Swapping it out, I can see that the with the spa return open just a sliver, pressure at the done drops from 20 to 5. Shut off the spa return entirely, problem solved! There are popups in the spa, so no need to leave that open at all unless you're heating it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.