any of the solar landscape lights any good?

Divin Dave

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2013
Longview, Texas
Whew! It's been a lot of work, but I am finally on the downhill side of finishing up. Ive done about 50 % of the pool build and every inch of the landscaping by myself too. :bounce:

So, I would like some path lights around my deck and maybe here an there to highlight some of the plants, flowers and trees.

I know Low Votage is the best way to go, but I dont have an available electric source to plug a transformer into, and I am not in to reworking the electric panel any time soon. I am about wore out. :hammer:

So I am gonna put some solar path and spotlight around the pool and landscaping, at least for this year.

Does anyone have a recommendation that is reasonably priced that works fairly well?

Thanks

My experience with solar lights:

In my daily runs around my part of this town, I have picked up many 3 and 4 year old solar lights that people have discarded. Most often, the solar cell on top has degraded. In some, the rechargable batteries are toast.

Since you have stated that these would be only temporary, most any mid-priced units would work for you. I will caution you to avoid those sold by discount houses like Harbor Freight and Walmart (this includes Lowes). Those may last a year or two at the most.

Look for the units with 2 or 3 LEDs in them, as they will put out a bit more light.

Dave - I bought the Hampton Bay LED set at Lowe's - they are very bright, stay lit through the night and even though we've only had them a few months, so far they've survived a freeze, ice storm, hail and one dog chewing on one of them. At this point, I think I got my $18 worth!

This is what I was waiting to hear! Thanks! :party:

Dave - I bought the Hampton Bay LED set at Lowe's - they are very bright, stay lit through the night and even though we've only had them a few months, so far they've survived a freeze, ice storm, hail and one dog chewing on one of them. At this point, I think I got my $18 worth!

- - - Updated - - -

what is better than one mans personal experience and recommendation? Two mens!
:whoot::cheers:

X2 .... for the money you can't go wrong

If they last you a couple of years, great!

When they start to dim out, see if you can open them up and replace the rechargable battery in them. If, like those I've gotten from others, the solar cell covering starts to cloud, you might be able to polish them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Im gonna give em a try Charlie. If they last till next summer, I will be happy. If not, then maybe I can get a few dollars for them at the garage sale my neighbor has every month. The way I look at it, a tank of gas that last a week cost more than a set of 6 or 8 lights that hopefully last a year or more. So in that sense, Im gonna risk it.

Thanks for your suggestions, they're much appreciated! (I really would rather have low voltage though, but....... !)

Dave - I tried to capture the lights but it's hard with my camera - I can tell you it was cloudy most of the day but they are still bright enough to light the patio. I love the ones out on the shed - they're solar too, much brighter but they unfortunately don't last as long, got them on Amazon.

Those look perfect to me and would do fine for what I want them to.

Looks like HD here in Longview carries the Hampton Bay line.
Going there tomorrow and get me a couple of packs of these.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Solar-Bronze-LED-Pathway-Light-6-Pack-NXT-120885/204473663

I think 8 or 10 will do it so I will have a couple of spares for just in case.

Also think I will get me a couple of those 20 dollar solar rock spotlights to backlight some of my tropical plants that I planted this weekend, and 1 bigger spotlight with a big panel on it to try out to see how well it will up-light one of the several trees I would like lit up.

Thanks for the pics!

Dave - I tried to capture the lights but it's hard with my camera - I can tell you it was cloudy most of the day but they are still bright enough to light the patio. I love the ones out on the shed - they're solar too, much brighter but they unfortunately don't last as long, got them on Amazon.

I picked up a few Moonrays solar lights for mounting on the side of a deck railing or post. Little things, maybe 3" x 3" x 1", with two white LEDs and a single AAA cell, and cheap :

http://www.moonrays.com/Mini-Deck-Light-P414.aspx

I was *really* surprised how bright they were and how long they lasted after a typical sunny day. Went to buy a few more but Amazon (Canada) wasn't showing a listing for them, guess I'll have to check back. Don't think this is the shape/size you're looking for, but solar lights sure have improved since the last time I looked at them.

Noticed they now have lights with warm LEDs, which I much much much prefer to typical LED colour, might try a couple of these next :

http://www.moonrays.com/Wall-Mount-15X-Bronze-Deck-Sconce-P542.aspx

Welp, after lots of looking around, I ended up getting some Hampton Bay solar lights. HD had several boxes of these. 23$ for a box of 8. What I like about them is a few things.
1. They light output was 2 lumens I think vs the standard 1.2
2. They have glass instead of plastic globes
3. They were the right temperature at 3200K vs 5000K. The 3200K light is softer and great for ambience.
4. Although inexpensive, they look really nice and fit my decor perfectly.
5. They are metal. I really didnt like the look and feel of plastic ones. I imagine these things might rust fairly quick though. We'll see.

Also, at 6 a.m. these things are still on.

For 23 dollars, these are hard to beat so I went back and bought another case of them for spares in case I want to add or replace a couple, they all will match.

I also got me a rock solar light to play around with. It works pretty good too.

All in all, very very happy with these.

Glad you found some you liked!

If you get a few years out of them, it's a good deal. This will at least give you some time to locate and install the low voltage you really want. Now if you could find some LV in this same style.....

If these just last this season I will be pretty happy. As they say, you get what you pay for, so I really dont expect much. These guys did surprise me though. I will do the Low Voltage lights next spring, after I have recovered from all the work Ive done since September!

Glad you found some you liked!

If you get a few years out of them, it's a good deal. This will at least give you some time to locate and install the low voltage you really want. Now if you could find some LV in this same style.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.