Jandy LXi Heater: Fault High Limit error

Apr 20, 2014
Houston
Hello everyone, I am fairly new to pool care (had for just over a year). This week when trying our Lxi heater out (it is about a year old) I got a fault message of "High Limit" and the burners did not fire.

I have done some research and believe I know where the limit switch is located, how to test it, and how to replace. However I wanted to confirm with everyone before doing so.

As for the location I can see where the high limit runs behind the PIB to the outside of the heater, just want to confirm these are the only 2 I need to replace. I ordered a replacement R0023000 150deg high limit switch and a R0457200 130deg high limit switch to replace the 2 in the picture below.

IMG_2303.jpg

I pull the the limit switch out today and it was fairly corroded. I tried to clean it and put back but it is still throwing the error. I can hear water running through the pipes, so I assume it isn't a flow issue.

Anything else I should check or do? The plan right now is to just replace the 2 high limit switches and see if it fires up.

I am getting the high limit error on my Jandy LXi heater. I bought the replacement harness with switches for the Jandy Lxi. My thought was to shut off power to my heater and pump filter and then replace the harness. It seems that the front panel comes off with the turn of a screwdriver and the harness just feeds in from the side. I couldn't find any specific instructions. Is there anything special to be aware of or to do?

Thanks--

Al

You should be able to unscrew the limits and then pop them off the socket and screw them back in. Unless of course if the harness wire is totally shot then I guess you would want to replace the entire thing.

Thanks! That worked, and when I got the panel off and followed the harness, it turned out to be more complicated than I thought. It snaked behind another panel with a lid attached with at least one screw. But, it was cheaper to buy the entire harness for about $38 than it was to buy the individual switches at $32 or so apiece. I didn't bother to check which was bad. I replaced both of them.

--Al

Where did you find the location of the limit switches? I could not locate them, but, I did locate the exhaust limit switch I did find a small plate under the water input pipe, but, I have not opened it to see if it houses the 135/150 limit switches. I does not look large enough to hold them.?

Thank you to all on this forum. I too had a High Limit Fault on my LXR400EN gas heater. the picture above was excellent to help see how easy this really is to fix. Only one of my switches 130 Degrees, was corroded and obviously bad. I first removed the metal retainer washer which then allowed me to pull back on the rubber housing around the connectors. Then wiggled the plugs off. I did not take notice of which wire was on which post, thought that was not relevant. Either is does not matter, or I got plain lucky, because it worked!

One question, why does this switch take on corrosion (powdery what granules)?
Second question, should I clean inside the tube where the switch resides?

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No it wouldn't matter if you flip flopped them. The unit will still operate.

I figure the "powder" has to do with dielectric grease used on them at the factory. Did you use an dielectric grease on the new ones when you installed them? Just a dab on the tip of the sensor.

I use a little tooth brush to clean it out. Just use something with soft bristles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.