new pool owner, old pool

You will have to turn off the pump and clean out the pump basket and skimmer basket and start over. You can either broadcast the stabilizer into the pool and then brush it well or place the stabilizer in an old sock and hang it in front of a return with the pump running. Give the sock a few good squeezes several times a day until all the stabilizer is dissolved. The sock method is the preferred way to add stabilizer to the pool.

Take the lid off the pump strainer, remove the basket, and work a garden hose into the inlet pipe from inside the strainer. Wrap it with a rag and hold it there and have someone else turn on the hose. Hopefully you can blow the clog loose backwards. Next up is the same thing but with a "drain king" inflatable bladder instead of a rag. After that, it's a plumber's snake.

If you do manage to dislodge the stuff in chunks, put what you gather into a sock as recommended above.

Almost forgot to say Welcome! :wave:

Last edited:
Since Richard almost forgot it, let me say Welcome first. Stabilizer is VERY slow to dissolve, it can take several days and is acidic this is why we suggest the sock method, also it can take up to a week to show up on tests after being added to the water.

Thanks for the helpful tips. I have tried to flush out the stabilizer with a garden hose into the inlet, but not getting anywhere. I guess a plumber's snake is my next step. Can this ruin my pump if the excess gets through to that point in chunks?

Thanks for the helpful tips. I have tried to flush out the stabilizer with a garden hose into the inlet, but not getting anywhere. I guess a plumber's snake is my next step. Can this ruin my pump if the excess gets through to that point in chunks?
I doubt it, as long as you put the pump strainer basket back in. It should catch the clods.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.