Algaecide first then shock?

avpowerstn

Aug 7, 2012
I also have a question. Do I shock 1st, then let rest for a day (simmer down), then add the algaecide (Kem-Tek 60% Concentrated Algaecide) ..?? or Algaecide first then shock.
I thought I was told the shock would kill the algaecide..?

Speaking from experience -- My blonde granddaughter has green tinted hair all summer and fall from the copper in the algaecide. The shampoos that are supposed to remove it don't. I blamed it on chlorine but have researched it and found it is the algaecide. You do not need it if you use the methods in this forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was doing a little research, I have an EZ-Flow fertigator (fertilizer injector), and I am using MegaGreen (Hydroslated fish, which rocks) but I do believe I am getting "drift" from a group of sprinkler near the pool. MegaGreen is famous for making algae thrive. Looks like a need a "Hanna Instruments Checker HC Handheld Colorimeter, For Phosphorus", and some "Natural Chemistry 05121 Phos Free Pool Cleaner" may have to tweak the sprinkler system a bit also. Thank You all for the input.

If you maintain the appropriate FC level for your CYA level, then chlorine will kill algae faster than it can grow regardless of algae nutrient (phosphate and nitrate) level. There are members on this forum with 3000 ppb, 5000 ppb, and even 20,000 ppb phosphate who prevent algae using chlorine alone.

I have been having trouble keeping my FC level where it should be, I was just rinsing my cartridges (500 sq.ft.) with water only, I have a 100 gallon plastic horse trough I bought at Lowe's and just received 4-10lb boxes of cascade I ordered from Wal-Mart. Time to use the advice from TFP and soak my cartridges overnight. I have two sets of filters so may downtime is minimal while one set soaks. 20K ppb kept in check by chlorine only...wow. Thank You for the information. I will tighten my FC game.;)

Keep us updated and continue to read Pool School. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.