Raising CYA

Apr 5, 2014
Huntsville Al
I am new at pool ownership and started using the TF100 test kit from the beginning last Fall. I am trying to raise the CYA slowly to about 40 ppm using Chlor tabs only. Once I get to 40, I am going to switch to 8.25 bleach for sanitizer. It seems like it is taking a long time to raise the CYA this way. Should I use a stabilizer to get the CYA higher? Or is my approach OK?
Pool water looks great right now.

Thanks

FC 3
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 110
CH 190
CYA 25
Water temp 64

There is nothing wrong with your approach, provided that:

1. You understand all of the effects the trichlor will have on your pool while you're raising the CYA.
2. You continually monitor and rebalance the chemistry to compensate for those effects.
and 3. Switch back to bleach when the CYA reaches your target.

In your 19k gallon pool, each puck will only raise CYA by about 1.75ppm, so you're right about how long it's taking.

Welcome to TFP!

Ditto to what Smykowski said.

One other thing to keep in mind is that your chlorine (tab) demand has been low due to fall and winter conditions. In the upcoming months you should see your CYA rise at a faster pace as a byproduct of increased chlorine demand. You can then ditch the tabs for bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.