DE all over my pool!!!

Hi friends,

So I am a fairly new pool owner, things have been going okay with my pool.

It seems like every other week there is a new issue.

This past weekend I cleaned my DE filter following instructions from TFP. did the detergent soak and acid soak. Greatly improved the pressure of filter. I thought that all was well until....

I woke up the next morning, looked in my pool, and there is a layer of DE on the bottom of the pool! I swept and scrubbed, but now I can literally see the DE coming back into the pool via the input water from filter. Other than that, I can definitely tell that the filter is working otherwise- the water clarity had vastly improved, except for all the DE.

My first thought is that there is a hole in one of the filter cartridges. Does anyone have any other ideas for what could have gone wrong- and how to fix it?

Please help! Is my only option to buy new filter cartridges? Any idea the lifespan of these?

Thanks everyone!

I had the same problem when I first moved into my house. The water was always cloudy. I finally figured out that if I turned off the polaris the water would clear up but I had a thick layer of dust on the bottom of the pool. I took the filter apart and viola - 5 of the 8 elements were bad. After I replaced those I had to vacuum all of the DE to waste as my polaris would not pick it up.

Torn grids are a very likely cause, but it is also possible that the filter was not put back together properly. Make sure all of the grids/fingers are in the correct places and fully seated inside the filter and that you didn't leave any parts out when you put it back together.

Welcome to TFP!!

One other thought is that either the manifold that holds the grids is cracked or that the fabric that is supposed to cover the sleeves that fit into the manifold are not properly in place. Then again, as I think about it, the o-ring that is on the standpipe that the manifold sits on could be gone or pinched. These are the other things not already mentioned which could cause the same problem.

Looks like you'll have to take the filter back apart and check for anything that we've mentioned :(

Please keep us informed as to the results :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.