Should I switch to variable speed?

Hi again all

Last year I battled (and lost) trying to get my jandy 1hp stealth (jhpu1.0cnd) to fully prime. It always had some air in the basket. Now that the harsh winter is over, I'm not sure if it survived. Pool opens in 2 weeks so I want to be ready.

Last year the pump ran 24/7. Our electricity rates vary by the hour:
7pm-7am: $0.072 kWh (all day weekends)
7am-11am, 5pm-7pm: $0.129 kWh
Rest: $0.109 kWh

My question is, should I switch to variable speed and if so, the Hayward super pump vs ($850) or the Hayward ecostar ($1200) and will I actually see a savings? My pipes are all 1.5" to the pad (2 lines in the skimmer, 1 from 2 floor drains) and then 2" to the pump. I don't have any other automation systems, but would get a timer if needed. Should I continue with 24 hours or go with only 4 of actual pump time outside of vacuuming time?

I will also be replacing my jandy st24-t filter with a Hayward pro series s244tc, if that makes a difference. The old filter has a leak in the underside of the body and I'm sure it will give way any day.

Thanks for the advise. My local pool store has there annual closed door, "invite only" sale where the claim their best prices can be found. I don't know if they will be lower than what I listed above.

Thanks!

Hi again all

Last year I battled (and lost) trying to get my jandy 1hp stealth (jhpu1.0cnd) to fully prime. It always had some air in the basket. Now that the harsh winter is over, I'm not sure if it survived. Pool opens in 2 weeks so I want to be ready.

Last year the pump ran 24/7. Our electricity rates vary by the hour:
7pm-7am: $0.072 kWh (all day weekends)
7am-11am, 5pm-7pm: $0.129 kWh
Rest: $0.109 kWh

My question is, should I switch to variable speed and if so, the Hayward super pump vs ($850) or the Hayward ecostar ($1200) and will I actually see a savings? My pipes are all 1.5" to the pad (2 lines in the skimmer, 1 from 2 floor drains) and then 2" to the pump. I don't have any other automation systems, but would get a timer if needed. Should I continue with 24 hours or go with only 4 of actual pump time outside of vacuuming time?

I will also be replacing my jandy st24-t filter with a Hayward pro series s244tc, if that makes a difference. The old filter has a leak in the underside of the body and I'm sure it will give way any day.

Thanks for the advise. My local pool store has there annual closed door, "invite only" sale where the claim their best prices can be found. I don't know if they will be lower than what I listed above.

Thanks!

Look at the Pentair VS pumps. I have the 11018 and have been extremely happy with it down here in Florida where the pool is open 12months of the year. Have found that my pump run time is really driven by the need of chlorine generation by my SWG, so 5 hrs per day in winter and 10per day in summer. The pump is extremely efficient at the lower RPM (like I use 1200rpm -around 175watts per hr. (watts per hr not kWh) for most of the day except for 4hr at 1800rpm in the AM to sweep the pool (450watts per hr). The rpm use depends on the size of the pool. The pump is capable of up to 3hp at full speed

Actual Data
1200 RPM/30gpm 5psi/175watts
2400rpm/60gpm 17psi/850watts

With rates that low, it is unlikely that an EcoStar will ever pay back the initial investment, but there is some chance that a SuperPump VS could be worth getting in the long run.

If you have been running the pump 24 hours a day, the largest savings would be to get a timer and switch to only running the pump 4 or 5 hours a day. That will pay back very quickly, especially if you run the pump at night.

With rates that low, it is unlikely that an EcoStar will ever pay back the initial investment, but there is some chance that a SuperPump VS could be worth getting in the long run.

If you have been running the pump 24 hours a day, the largest savings would be to get a timer and switch to only running the pump 4 or 5 hours a day. That will pay back very quickly, especially if you run the pump at night.

I'm surprised you said the rates are low! I would have thought we pay more up here in ontario. I just double checked, and the rates have gone up butabout 0.003 kwh from those numbers.

Guess if I do need a pump then save and get a single speed?

So I'm thinking about wiring in a timer. Maybe just replacing my filter will solve my priming problem (saw it get better with the filter on bypass).

There's no problem with not running the pump during the hot hours?

Thanks for all the advice. I'll have to see, but will definitely look more at the vs pumps.

Dave - we've tried everything we can think of to fix/isolate the suction leak besides replacing the pipes (fingers crossed it was above ground). What we did find was it "better" when we put the filter on bypass, so I wonder if it's pressure related?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.