Cheapest form of "Liquid Chlorine" available, also, I might have gone crazy

May 18, 2012
Greensboro NC
Found a local supplier for pressure washers, and he is selling 12% bleach in bulk, 55 gallons of 12% sodium hypochlorite for $110 + tax, it's $2/gal. Now, I may have gone a bit nuts and just got a 55 gallon drum, but BEHOLD! My chlorine supply for the initial SHOCK period + 2/3 of the summer! not bad.

Not sure what that all works out in terms of units/available chlorine etc... but all of the maths I have ran it through, it works out to a great deal, also with the pump, it is really easy to deal with. I have a 1 gallon jug that is translucent that I have marked at 1, 2, 3, and 4 quarts, so I can measure it out easily. Just, word to the wise, be sure that wherever you have to move it to, be sure you can lift 533.5 pounds to get it there :scratch:

IMG_20140419_181330.jpg

Re: Cheapest form of "Liquid Chlorine" available, also, I might have gone crazy

I'm sure you will keep it out of sunlight and the container seems opaque, but temperature is still chlorine's enemy so to the extent you can, keep it cool. The table at the bottom of this link will give you some idea of the half-life of chlorine at various concentration and temperature. It also depends on the quality of the chlorine manufacturing, specifically whether metals were removed from the source water (and lye) used to make the chlorine.

I was hoping that due to the container being opaque, and keeping it in a shed, it wouldn't lose too much strength.

I believe I will go with a 30 gallon drum next time, easier to move, and I won't have to store it long.

Chem Geek, I have no information on the manufacture of this stuff, the guy I get it from has a container in his shop that is HUGE and he sells a lot, I believe it gets cycled through rather quickly. Last summer I was buying it 5 gallons at a time and decided I didn't want to have to re-fill every couple of weeks.
Also, I didn't see a link at the bottom of your post, I would be interested to see what it says, hopefully I won't be losing too much strength... I may go through it quickly here while going from green to clean.

Funny to see this. I too am going this route. Local supplier sells it in 15 gal and 55 gal. The 55 gal is cheaper/gal...but I worry about Texas heat degrading the bleach too much by the time I get to the bottom of the barrel. I'm thinking I'll go 15 gal unless I can get a friend to split a 55 with me.

I wish I could get a 55gallon drum like this! I keep my chlorine in the basement which is air conditioned over the summer and slightly heated over the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.