Bubbles in Pool after new Intelliflo VS Install

mas956

Mar 3, 2014
Northern CA
First major upgrade I've done. Got the old pump out and got an Intelliflo VS plumbed in AND successfully wired up. I was a little worried about that piece but it went smoother than the re-plumb.

Fired the pump up and darned if there aren't bubbles from the returns and the pressure side cleaner just floats in the pool. I only have one suction line coming out of the ground (I assume main drain and skimmer merge at some point), so I'm thinking the only thing that could be the problem is the union I put in right at the pump inlet. I think I may have gotten too aggressive tightening it and probably stripped it. In the meantime, I've tried thread sealant and teflon tape, neither of which changed the bubble output.

Am I right to suspect the union? There were no bubbles with the old pump and one of the many things I've learned on this forum is that bubbles happen on the suction side.

Anything else to check before I replumb the union on the suction side?

Thanks!

Mark

One obvious problem worth double checking, did you let all the air out of the filter after you primed the new pump?

Do you see air bubbles entering the pump strainer basket? If so, one fairly easy test you can do is to run a garden host gently over the union. If the union is letting air in, the water will cause it to draw in water instead and the bubbles will stop in pump skimmer basket while the water is running. While you are at it, try running water over other places, like where the intake pipe enters the pump and any other valves joints in that same area and see if any of them are involved. That will at least narrow down where to look for the problem.

I always repeat Richard320's saying, "The first thing to check is the last thing you fixed".

It sure sounds like you are on the right track. Usually, it's the outer nut that cracks on a union so you can probably see it without complete disassembly.

If that turns out to be the issue, unions are usually tight enough by hand-tightening and then MAYBE a 1/4 turn more

Thanks for the feedback. I wish I had remembered the garden hose over the suspected leaky union but it all worked out okay anyhow. I went ahead and cut out the leaky union and plumbed in a new one. I was a little worried about getting it all glued up plumb and square, but it all worked out and it was the problem, so no more bubbles in the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.