Sand Filter problems

Apr 7, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I've read through a bunch of posts regarding sand filter problems but couldn't come up with an answer for the issue I am having. After turning the pump back on when ever I backwash or when the cleaner gets stuck to the bottom of the pool (causing me to have to turn off the pump in order to "un-stick" it) I will get murky water coming out of the return jets for about 2 - 5 minutes. I've taken the filter apart and inspected the laterals and it all looks ok. So, I'm not sure what the problem could be. a couple of thoughts;
1 - the tiny slits in the laterals look to be what I guess to be about 50% plugged with tiny sand particles. Could this be causing some kind of flow issue.
2 - it looks like where the center pipe attaches to the diffuser (see picture) is worn. Also, it (center pipe) doesn't fit snug with the diffuser. What I'm wondering is, could there be the chance that when I backwash or when the cleaner gets stuck, could the water level rise to/above the point where the center pipe and diffuser attach then, instead of water being sucked in through the laterals it is being sucked in at this point, ultimately taking the dirty water on top?
View attachment 28519IMG_2057.jpg

Most likely, your sand has become channeled. You need to resettle the sand bed. Since it looks like you have completely taken apart the filter, simply putting it back together should solve the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.