New AGP - What to test/adjust first

May 3, 2008
rock springs, wi
I have a new 27' round AGP. I have the TF100 test kit. I am not sure of the proper order for testing and making adjustments. Do I need to test and adjust TA prior to PH, or vice versa, etc. Can I start adding CYA before I test/adjust these other components (um, I already added some chlorine and CYA to hold the chlorine). I know I will need more CYA to get to the 30-40 range. I added about half what I will need. My initial PH test of the raw water is 7.2. I have not succesfully completed a TA test yet, still working on that. I may have issues with the dropper for the reagents, as discussed elsewhere.

Is there a proper order for making adjustments to the new water (this is well water)?

Welcome to TFP. With well water, you should test for metals. The TF-100 doesn't. Can you get to a pool store for that? Don't buy anything yet, post the results here first.

PH seems fine for now there are issues with PH, CL and metals that you need to worry about so complete test results would be great.

Yes, you can add chlorine while you are getting the rest handled, use the pool calculator to determine dosages. How much and when did you add the CYA? It can take several days to register on the tests. Be sure to use the CYA chlorine chart for your proper targets.

Try swapping a tip for using the TA test, rinsing between uses. Email Duraleigh and he'll mail you a new tip. Do your ph before you adjust TA, if necessary.

Your CH is not as important but should be about 150 minimum.

Feel free to post any other q's. HOpe this helped!

Chlorine and PH are the most important.

With some minor exceptions, everything else can be adjusted right away or wait a few days. If TA is below 50, get TA up to at least 50 before adjusting PH. CH should not be raised on the same day you raise PH or TA.

If you post your current test results we can give you more specific advice.

For recommended levels see this Pool School article.

OK, here are my test results

cl 3.5
ph 7.2
ch 270
ta 250
cya around 23 (assuming it has all dissolved in 24 hours)

What adjustments should I make and in what order? When can my kids go swimming? Is it safe now, or will allowing them to swim mess up my calc's, etc ?

It's probably okay for them to swim; I wouldn't swim less than 1 hour after adding any chems, at any time.

Are you certain about your TA? If so, read about lowering TA in Pool School. That will mean adjusting your ph which is low anyway so it can be dealt with over the next several days. Lowering TA can be done while kids are swimming, no biggie (except when adding the acid!)

The CYA won't register completely for several days. No way to know for sure, so retest in a week, okay?

Enjoy your new pool! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.