Cutting pool wall for wide-mouth skimmer

STOP!!!!

Does your pool come with perforated lines to snip the wide mouth in? If not... don't mess with it!!! Wide mouth skimmers are over rated in my humble opinion and are a bear to put on and not have leak! I just spent 6 hours hanging over my pool wall on a chair on Wednesday and was still swearing at it on Thursday!

Do you reeeeally want the headache and hassle because if you do, go for it!

Leave it. The regular square skimmer boxes do a fine job.

I always liked the look of a wide mouth but that thing ( it's a dirty rotten thing!) has given me more pain than I care to ever go through again! I ended up having to put a double gasket on (the butterfly and then another one on the outside of the pool) and it leaked until I torqued those screws down. I was so defeated by that thing I was throwing screw drivers!

If I'm not mistaken, don't both the wide mouth and the standard skim exactly the same? The actual box opening is the same except for the wife mouth extender. I'm assuming it aids in pulling debris in but offers not much more skimming action correct? I'm new to this.

I second what Casey and Metallica say. The functional area of the skimmers are the same. I am still doing my install and spent much water and time trying to assemble the Hayward wide mouth skimmer without a leak. VERY frustrating. My pool came with the wide mouth cutout and wide mouth skimmer. Please post some pictures of your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.