What would you do differently, if you could rebuild your pool?

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

We are getting ready to qualify vendors, bids & designs, then select and build [I will post the whole pool process here, including the summer kitchen of all before and afters].

After reading many more of your posts, what I would like to acheive w the help of everyone, is to compile a list of all the suggested changes on years of experience w your pools. As we all know, sometimes you just have to live through it or figure it out over time. W all the experience here, I am hoping to accomplish a list of best practices that I can incorporate into our design and build. Trouble Free Pool does not mean maintenance free, but I would like to optimize your experiences, good or bad, to help make the best pool possible, then pass my experiences back on for future pool owners.

Here is what I know today:

14K gallons IG Pool w spa & sunning shelf, approx 16' x 20 w additional 7.5' tanning shelf [18-12"], depth 4' x 5.6' x 3.6'

Rectangular to match geometrics of house - pool runs S-N w N side next to summer kitchen to be

spa w custom seating for both tall people and other so shoulders neck will be in water w out hunching over, extra jets
an additional sitting shelf 13' x 2' by 18" not looking into the sun

4 sq columns w two scuppers & two for potted plants on wall w equipment behind for optimal pressure & friction reduction

additional electrical outlets and 4-6 irrigation taps w lines for potted plants

extensive drainage system / volleyball sleeves

No trees in yard or neighbors, only palm trees...our backyard has only grass

summer kitchen is 20' x 34' w gas stove, gas/wood burning fireplace, flatscreen & stereo...S-Kitchen runs E-W w west side enclosed from sun w fireplace & wall - S side open to pool, gas stove on N side since 11 mo's per yr wind is from S and blows smoke out and away

That is it.. w these potential design dimensions, I am hoping to get your advice & experience on cleaning and filtering systems, and anything else you think we need to change, eliminate or enhance.

Thank you very much,
tstex

Make sure and go big enough on all plumbing, and home run everything, makes life a lot easier when there is a leak later on, lets you isolate it and keep running until the off season. There are lots of other things, which may not apply to your situation, for example I wish my shallow end was just a few inches deeper, I have long arms and hate scraping my knuckles when I swim laps, another 3 inches would make all the difference.

On our deck area, we have about 5' of free space next to the pool in the areas where there are chaise lounges and tables. This proved to be great for people movement while seating areas were occupied. Those areas are 13' and 15' wide. Though our pool is the destination type, not up by the house where we could utilize existing decking.

Two LED lights for an 18x38 rectangle. One would be too dark.

Thank you for the suggestions...we will examine all of the lighting and spacing re chairs and tables.

We are located close to Houston, so winter cold is not an issue, but water cooling surely is...I will ask the PB to ensure there is plenty of movement of water. I can assure you the Spa will be spanking with movement and pressure.

On depth, our pool is going to be action oriented w V-ball and similar. 5'.6" in the middle is good enough to dive at an angle.

Finally, we are going with a pump for each need: main pool, scuppers, jacuzzi, etc. I want to spec homeruns for each, but since we are going to be real close from pumps to pool/spa, I believe 2" PVC should be good, but will ask the PB to give an opinion. Real close should mean distances of 5', 10' & 5/7 ft for pool, spa and scupppers, respectively.

Lastly, is it recommended to get the PB to both flush and pressure test all of the PVC runs before they are covered-up w dirt? I am not too inclined on have to dig anything up at a later date to fix a leak...

Thanks again,
tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is a great thread. We are thinking of building again and may do a lot differently, from shape to materials. I would keep the SWG and the spa. On the fence about in-floor cleaning and may even go vinyl/concrete over gunite, but not sure. We are in the northeast and kept our old pool open April to October, but it is still costly up here for half the year. Great idea for a thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would tend to say 8 ft minimum for diving from the side or a rock, 9 ft is even questionable with a diving board, but the more common problem with residential pools is intercepting the slope at around the 5-6 ft depth even with shallow face first diving due to limited length.

Diving depth is an interminable discussion that we have had before and can evolve into acrimonious (who says I don't know any big words??:mrgreen:) postings.

Each of us has an idea about safety around our pools and each of us will continue to practice what we think is best.

I would rather see us not get involved more "deeply" in diving depth.....it's been quite unproductive in the past.

I'm finishing up my pool and I can say I underestimated how big the equipment pad was going to be. With a heater, filter, and 2 pumps, and all of the valves, mine is nearly 10x4. It was impracticle in my build, but I wish it had been more hidden.

I would have made sure all electrical conduits were at least 1", the electricians had an awful time pulling the light cords through 3/4".

I think the fire features really look neat, so if you have gas lines nearby you might want to consider one.

These are great suggestions...

Just met with a pool builder and the 500sqft decking [including a 12x12 jacuzzi] in that space with a 4' walkway betw the deck and house and an open floor area in the summer kitchen of 28 x 20, I think we are going to s-can the cool deck and go with travertine pavers. The pavers would be install with 9" of aggregate and sand combo as a base, then the 1.25" thick t-pavers in shapr/size and pattern to be. This would prevent cracking and allow for expansion. It was only 2K more for this soltution vs coo deck.

Thank you, I appreciate all of your feedback.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.