In ground Liner stretch - cool rain, some water and waiting

magicalyak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2010
Atlanta, GA
First of all, this is an inground pool approximately 21'x41' Rectangle with sloped hopper, concrete Vinyl over stairs in low end. I got a bead on the stair treads and installed the track myself (that part actually came out VERY well).

My ultimate question is can I leave the liner in a halfway state till the weather warms and do you think I'll have enough stretch then?

I left the liner inside with a heater at night for 2 days prior but generally (except those last 2 days) the temps have been 70/50 day/night.

Situation: I have the liner in almost all the way (two corners are not quite there in the deep end). The liner is also away from the walls in the deep end and at the bottom stair (top three stairs have bead and maybe a few wrinkles but I'm ok with that). It's tight as a snare drum around the bead though.

I only had help that day (it's easter weekend and the pool has been exposed too long that I didn't think it wise to wait. I did NOT think it was going to rain and the day of kind of hoped the weatherman was wrong (which they often are in Atlanta for some reason (did you hear the 2" of snow that crippled us?...))

I installed this yesterday and it was in the mid 60s then started to rain and went to the 50s. It was cold to say the least, I ended up barefoot, soaking wet and exhausted, but the pool bottom (poolcrete) was clear and I had a water table problem in the deep end so I needed to set the liner with some water in the deep end (2 ft right now which should hold back any hydrostatic pressure IMHO).

Looks like rain today but the sunny on Sunday with temps in the mid 70s and monday in the upper 70s.

My question is should I just leave the 2-3ft of water in the bottom hopper (it's enough to stand and smooth a few wrinkles I believe) and should I worry about the tightness? Will the liner stretch? I already cut the drain because I was afraid of misreading the hydrostatic pressure. Can I leave the pool in this state another day with little ill effects? Should I post some pictures? There is a slight chance I was maybe an inch or two (maybe 3) short on the deep end depth but I still think I was spot on, I did the measurements 4 times, once with water and 3 times empty.

On a side note, the main drain hopper (Hayward oval type) had two drain posts with metal and one "kind of" broke. I have a screw that should prevent swivel but isn't seated, the other one cracked a little but I just used a non-metal seat screw (a PVS locking type like the kind that attaches gaskets) and that set well and is tight enough also to prevent swivel. Not sure I can do much else. Since the drain is 8 1/2 feet under water I am not too worried, I also run drain and skimmers together so any blockage would have two skimmers relieving pressure anyway under normal circumstances. Just wanted to ask now while I could stand in the deep end.

The shallow end can shift unless there is water in the shallow end. You can leave things where they are as long as you are prepared to reset the shallow end if needed before continuing the fill. However, you will get algae in the water you do have in if you wait too long (days).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.