Need help with identification

May 10, 2013
Maryville, TN
I have a brown powder type substance gathering in the seams and corner of the pool. The pool is in total sunlight with very little shade anywhere. The pool will look clean but when I brush it I can see this stuff cloud up the water. Therefore I started to SLAM. My CYA was low so I kept it low to SLAM. started this last weekend and kept FC levels 14 ppm or higher until 3 requirements were met (which only took 1 day) current test results are FC 10, CYA 30 (kept low for SLAM), pH 7.6, TA 70, CC 0. Water is crystal clear except the stuff seen in the picture. So the question, what is it? I don't think it's pollen because it was there before the pollen appeared this year. It doesn't feel like sand and disappears when brushed. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 63
It's the evil mystery stuff. I have it too. Clear water, fc has never gone below the minimum for my FC (hasn't even come close) and it settles in the seams and all the lovely little divots I have in the bottom of my pool.

Hate it.

And is the bottom slippery or is it to cold to get in and find out?

I have noticed that in the past couple of years, airborn dust is getting worse. Of course, I live in a farming community, and that is a contributing factor.

I can vacuum, clean my filters, then let the pool settle with the pump running, and I see a noticeable accumulation in the cracks and crevices. It's not much, just thin little strips, most likely from what stirred up while vacuuming. In one week's time the amount is back to my "vacuum trigger level". I can keep it at bay with daily brushing during that week so the filter has a chance to work.

Unless your filter is getting a green tint to it, it's just dust.

You may want to check your sand for channeling or try adding a cup or two of DE to the filter to see if it picks up more of this fine debris. I think this is just very fine dirt that falls to the bottom when it has not been caught by the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.