Need Advice on Automated System

May 19, 2013
We are upgrading to all new equipment including full automation and salt water. We have a pool and spa that spills over. It was recommended that we get the Pentair Easy Touch but I'm trying to understand if there are any other options out there that would be as good or better. I'd like a system that is user friendly and I'd like to be able to hit a button to turn on the spa or waterfall, etc. Last year was our first summer with the pool and we were always confused about which values to turn on or off to make the waterfall go, the spa warm up, etc, and I'm hoping a good automated system will help alleviate these issues! I'd also like to be able to remotely control the system from my iphone, and I know the Easy Touch has that capability but it sounds like I have to buy a separate interface which is kinda pricey too. If you have any experience with this system or have any suggestions for other products, I'd love to hear your advice!

Last edited:
I have the easy touch as well. Love it. I went with the ScreenLogic over the Autelis after a lot of research, but can't remember the deciding factors. I don't see how you could be disappointed in either setup. When I upgraded my equipment, Pentair had a deal for extended warranties for purchasing 3 major components. However, I'm probably a little biased because it's really all I've known.

Hayward also sells a similar automation setup (although the phone inter-connectivity is a newer feature). The SWG cells are cheaper than the Pentair to replace as well. I have their base model without any remote or phone control since I just do not see that as a benefit for the ridiculous amount of money it adds. I don't need to change the way my pool is running when I am not at home and able to just walk over to the equipment.

Jandy also has similar automation.

I would say Easytouch. Personally I don't get the remote capability with the iphone because if something happened and you weren't home you would never know. It also doesn't take that long for a spa to heat up. Besides you aren't going to come home and immediately jump in the spa/pool without first changing clothes and then you look at the mail to see what came and by that time, the spa would be ready. Just my opinion.

I would say Easytouch. Personally I don't get the remote capability with the iphone because if something happened and you weren't home you would never know. It also doesn't take that long for a spa to heat up. Besides you aren't going to come home and immediately jump in the spa/pool without first changing clothes and then you look at the mail to see what came and by that time, the spa would be ready. Just my opinion.

That's not true with the Autelis. It will send you fault information as an email. To me, that's well worth the cost if I had to replace my VF pump.
For example, if the pump loses prime, it'll send an email alert to your phone. If you get two or three of those emails, you just simply switch off your pump through the phone and be done with it. No chance of coming home to a pump that has been running dry for who knows how long.
An additional reason I like my Autelis is that if I have guest over while I'm away, I can switch and adjust the pool or spa for their use. No worries someone will move the wrong valve trying to heat a spa.
There's a whole host of reasons one can use to justify it's purchase, but to each his own. Sort of like being a pool owner, others are of an opinion you wasted your money once you dig that hole. Only those that have one can appreciate it's use.

I am a + for the Easy Touch system. Have one at my house and have installed a few others.

The programming is a little strange ie. Assigning items etc, but once you figure it out it works well.

I have mine installed in my pool house so it stays dry, but others are outside with no problems.

The I phone and or remotes are good for turning on and off lights, spa, pumps and heaters etc - at home as well.

There is also the spa side remotes to control 4 features and has integrated control of their Varable speed pump (Sta Rite or Pentair), Intellebrite LED color changing lights, and the IC series of salt cells.

I am just used to the Easy Touch and can't think of anything I don't like about it -- maybe a couple of more slots for circuit breakers. I used two mini breakers so I had enough room for GFCI breakers for the Pump, Blower, Lights and outlets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.